Eye Institute - Fast Facts
New home to: The academic programs and faculty practice clinics of the UNMC Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences.
Location: 40th and Leavenworth Streets (on the north side of Leavenworth St.)
Cost: $30 million.
Size: A multi-story building completed in two phases. A 47,000 square foot building housing clinical services will be built first with a surgical wing added later.
Construction: Is set to begin in 2011 and tentatively set for completion in 2012.
Building features: Outpatient eye care, a children’s eye care center, clinical research center and regional diagnostic center.
Building’s namesake: Stanley M. Truhlsen, M.D., emeritus professor and former chairman of UNMC’s Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences. Dr. Truhlsen is nationally recognized in the field of ophthalmology.
- Outpatient Eye Care: Separate clinic areas for specialty care including general ophthalmology and cornea, glaucoma, retinal diseases and neuro-ophthalmology. Patient-care areas will be closely integrated with the clinical research and diagnostic center to support clinical research studies and also provide state-of-the-art patient care.
- Children’s Eye Care Center: A new center for children’s eye care will provide a subspecialty referral center for pediatric eye care not currently available in our region and provide capacity for clinical research on pediatric eye diseases.
- Clinical Research Center: A dedicated area for clinical research will enable the department to bring breakthroughs achieved in the Truhlsen Eye Research Laboratories, in UNMC’s Durham Research Center, to patients in clinical studies.
- Regional Diagnostic Center: State-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, such as high resolution laser and ultrasound imaging, not otherwise available in the community, will be provided for clinical research and advanced patient care.
- Optical shop: An optical shop will provide patients convenient access to optical services, products and eyewear.
- Eye Surgery Center: Plans are in the works for an eye surgery center to be built at a later date.
- Experts List
- Fast Facts
- News Releases
Online Photo Collection
- Video/Sound Bites
College of Pharmacy
- Chicken Soup
DRC & DRC II
- Healthier Nebraska
- Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute
- College of Pharmacy
- Campus Growth
- Campus Map