Eye Institute - What Others are Saying
"The University of Nebraska Medical Center is so very fortunate to have Dr. Truhlsen involved in making our dream for a world class eye institute come true. He achieved excellence in his career and now brings it to his legacy at UNMC."
– Dr. Gail and Mike Yanney, community leaders and UNMC supporters
“The Truhlsen Eye Institute represents a giant step forward for the department of ophthalmology and visual sciences. It will not only advance our research in various eye diseases, but it also will provide an outstanding clinical setting like nothing ever seen before in the region. With the Weigel Williamson Center for Visual Rehabilitation already assisting people with low vision problems, the Truhlsen Eye Institute will round out our vision services in world-class style.”
– Rodney S. Markin, M.D., interim dean, UNMC College of Medicine
"My predecessor and friend, Carl Camras, led the way in bringing practical research advances to patients. Carl developed what is now the leading medication for the treatment of glaucoma, and he built a great ophthalmology department at UNMC with outstanding clinical and research faculty. However, expansion of the department to the next level of excellence has been limited by outdated and inadequate clinical facilities. Stan Truhlsen and Carl Camras together had the dream to build a great eye institute which would transform this campus, attract the best and brightest eye specialists, students and research scientists to UNMC, and allow UNMC to lead the effort to bring research innovations to our patients. This will give Nebraskans access to the best eye care in the world."
– Thomas Hejkal, M.D., Ph.D., interim chairman of the UNMC Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
“In the past few years, we have developed a very strong eye research program at UNMC. This exciting expansion of eye care and clinical research facilities is critical for translating our research findings on eye disease into successful new treatments for patients in Nebraska and elsewhere.”
– Wallace B. Thoreson, Ph.D., director of research, UNMC Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
“The Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute will be a profoundly important addition to academic and clinical ophthalmology at UNMC. Prominently located on Leavenworth Street to conveniently accommodate patients, physicians and guests on the new east clinical campus of UNMC, this four-story, attractive center of excellence will be a source of pride for all of Nebraska.”
– John A. Niemann, Ed.D., Senior Vice President, University of Nebraska Foundation
“The late, great Carl B. Camras devoted his life to curing glaucoma, research, teaching and developing the most effective form of treatment for all eye diseases. Omaha has the enviable opportunity to build a state-of-the-art Eye Institute which will attract the best and brightest minds in the country to do the most innovative, effective patient care.”
– Nancy Camras, wife of the late Carl Camras, M.D., who served as chairman of the UNMC Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences for nine years.
“The Jules Stein Eye Institute is pleased to congratulate the University of Nebraska Medical Center on the groundbreaking of the Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute. This Institute will provide not just a local, but a national resource of clinical care, vision science research and education. The University of Nebraska is very fortunate to have Dr. Stanley Truhlsen as its generous benefactor, and the late Dr. Carl Camras as its previous chair.”
– Bartly J. Mondino, M.D., Bradley R. Straatsma Professor of Ophthalmology, Director, Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA
“The creation of the Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute will enable the University of Nebraska Ophthalmology Department to join the most elite eye programs where the three missions of patient care, research, and education come together in ultimate synergy in an eye institute. Dr. Stan Truhlsen is a nationally renowned ophthalmologist whose legacy of true excellence, along with the previous Chairman, the late Carl Camras, M.D., and that of the outstanding ophthalmology community of Omaha and greater Nebraska will now, under Dr. Thomas Hejkal's leadership yield even greater accomplishments in this outstanding new center.”
– David L. Epstein, M.D., Joseph A.C. Wadsworth Clinical Professor and Chairman Department of Ophthalmology, Duke Eye Center, Durham, N.C.
“Throughout his career, Stan has been an unassuming but visible spokesman for ethical practice and quality eye care, quietly and effectively leading by reason and example. Few will ever match Dr. Stan Truhlsen’s sterling example of generosity and selflessness or his wisdom in how to effectively direct major medical philanthropy for the prevention of blindness.”
– B. Thomas Hutchinson, M.D., chairman, The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
“Dr. Stanley Truhlsen’s philanthropy is a crucial part of creating, maintaining and advancing any department in a medical school. His vision and generosity creates a legacy that many people will benefit from for years to come.”
– Dan B. Jones, M.D., Sid W. Richardson Professor and Margarett Root Brown Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
“Stan Truhlsen continues to make his mark on American ophthalmology through this wonderful gift to the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Dr. Truhlsen has spent his professional life in devotion to helping patients preserve their sight – in his own medical practice, in teaching medical students, ophthalmology trainees and his colleagues, and in significant national responsibilities. Dr. Truhlsen has been recognized by his colleagues as a leader in American ophthalmology. He is generous to a fault and I'm proud to be among his many personal and professional friends."
– Paul R. Lichter, M.D., F. Bruce Fralick Professor and Chair Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Director, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center University of Michigan
“Stan Truhlsen has been a contributor his entire life. Always unassuming, Stan has been a leader at every level of medicine and ophthalmology, including president of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Ophthalmological Society. His commitment to colleagues and community is manifest by leadership positions in social and professional organizations, including journals and museums. Stan is passionate about family, friends and quality ophthalmology. His consummate generosity is legendary. This latest contribution will stimulate ophthalmology in Nebraska as no other could. To know Stan Truhlsen is to know a magnificent human being.”
– Bruce E. Spievey, M.D., President, International Council of Ophthalmology, San Francisco
“The intelligence, charm, organizational skills, and generosity of Dr. Stanley Truhlsen have resulted in his establishing friendships with a multitude of members of the entire international eye care community, where he is recognized as one of the most important figures in our specialty.”
– Charles P. Wilkinson, M.D., Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University
"UNMC has really got things rolling. It is a true jewel for our community. This gift will not only improve the lives of those suffering from eye disease but also attract top talent to Omaha. It will be a great addition to Midtown. I salute Dr. Truhlsen for making this wonderful investment in the medical center."
– David G. Brown, president and CEO, Greater Omaha Chamber
- Experts List
- Fast Facts
- News Releases
Online Photo Collection
- Video/Sound Bites
- Chicken Soup
DRC & DRC II
- Healthier Nebraska
- Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute
- Campus Growth
- Campus Map