Grandma's Chicken Soup Recipe
(Note: Other chicken soup recipes also are effective, including many store-bought soups)
1 5- to 6-pound stewing hen or baking chicken
1 package of chicken wings
3 large onions
1 large sweet potato
11 to 12 large carrots
5 to 6 celery stems
1 bunch of parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the chicken, put it in a large pot and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to boil.
2. Add the chicken wings, onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips and carrots. Boil about 1 and a half hours. Remove fat from the surface as it accumulates.
3. Add the parsley and celery. Cook the mixture about 45 min. longer.
4. Remove the chicken. The chicken is not used further for the soup. (The meat makes excellent chicken parmesan.)
5. Put the vegetables in a food processor until they are chopped fine or pass through a strainer. Both were performed in the present study.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(Note: This soup freezes well.)
Matzoh balls were prepared according to the recipe on the back of the box of matzoh meal (Manischewitz).
- Experts List
- Fast Facts
- News Releases
Online Photo Collection
- Video/Sound Bites
- Chicken Soup
DRC & DRC II
- Healthier Nebraska
- Stanley M. Truhlsen Eye Institute
- Campus Growth
- Campus Map
UNMC Public Relations