Frequently Asked Questions

Which State colleges participate in RHOP?
Peru State College is a new participant to RHOP.  However, PSC only participates in the Pharmacy program.  Chadron and Wayne State participate in the Clinical Lab Science, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant and Radiography programs.

Who should apply and when?
Students from rural Nebraska communities may apply to the RHOP program at the same time they apply for admission to the state college. Nontraditional students who are willing to begin their undergraduate work as freshmen regardless of previous education are also encouraged to apply. All application materials must be received by the state college no later than December 1 for application consideration the following academic year.

How will students be selected?
RHOP was designed for rural Nebraska students interested in practicing in small communities throughout Nebraska. The selection is based on, but not restricted to an applicants:

  • residency in a rural Nebraska community.
  • academic potential.
  • commitment to practice in rural Nebraska.

What should I expect?
Your selection to RHOP is a joint investment of time and effort. You will be expected to complete the necessary academic requirements of the program. UNMC, CSC, WSC or PSC will provide additional opportunities to sustain your long-term goal to practice in rural Nebraska including:

  • Exposure to health care settings and practices.
  • Interaction with other students interested in the health professions.
  • Exposure to practical experiences in rural health.
  • Visits and contact with UNMC, the college of your health profession, its alumni and students.
  • All science and math courses must be taken at CSC, WSC or PSC.

Where can I get an application?

For programs at CSC, click here
For programs at WSC, click here
For the Pharmacy program at PSC, click here

Application guidelines

  • Students must submit an application for admission to CSC, WSC or PSC along with the RHOP application.
  • You may apply to only one program - CSC, WSC or PSC.
  • You may apply for only one professional field.
  • Once accepted through RHOP, if you decide to pursue a different health profession, you will lose your RHOP status.
  • All materials must be received by CSC, WSC or PSC no later than December 1stfor application consideration for the following academic year.
  • Alternates are also chosen in the event that students with guaranteed positions do not successfully complete their studies at CSC, WSC or PSC; however, the alternates do not receive guaranteed admission or a tuition waiver while in an alternate status.

Students must submit an application for admission to CSC, WSC or PSC along with the RHOP application.

For additional information students should contact the school where they are enrolled
Wayne State College
Health Professions Office
1111 Main St.
Wayne, NE 68787

Chadron State College
Health Professions Office
1000 Main St.
Chadron, NE 69337

Peru State College
Dennis Welsh
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Hoyt 123 Office
Email: or

University of Nebraska Medical Center
UNMC Rural Health Education Network
984373 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4373