Do you want to learn recent advances in science and share health care classroom experiences with colleagues?
UNMC's Rural Health Education Network (RHEN) plans this workshop in conjunction with the NATS fall conference to provide rural science teachers the opportunity to spend a day at the Omaha UNMC campus with researchers and faculty.
The purpose of this event is to promote the health sciences to rural high school science teachers, help them learn more about what we do at the medical center, and teach them simple activities that they can take back to their rural classrooms. The event also gives several researchers and faculty on campus the opportunity to share the meaning of their work and plan an interactive/learning activity with a small group of rural science teachers.
Some examples of activities shared by campus researchers are:
- Teaching simple science applications
- Demonstrating hands-on or interactive projects
- Explaining research and touring the lab where research is done
- Showing how equipment is used to diagnose or treat diseases
- Explaining why certain surgeries are needed and how they are performed
For this pre-conference workshop, UNMC's Rural Health Education Network (RHEN) provides the following:
- Making reservations for 1 night double occupancy lodging (a shared room with another science teacher) at a nearby hotel
- Coordinating interactive activities with UNMC researchers and faculty
- Lunch meal at the UNMC campus
- A lab coat
Teachers are responsible for the following:
- Transportation to and from Omaha
- Any necessary arrangements for substitutes with their school
Space is limited to 20 teachers each year, so be sure to register early!
For more information contact Liliana Bronner at 402-559-8106
Science Teacher Connections
Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA)
SEPA Health and Science Fun Camp
- Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) Teacher Workshop
Science of Mental Illness & Healthy Behaviors
- Role Model Poster Project
Lab Safety Posters
- Teacher Resources
- SEPA Health and Science Fun Camp