UNMC Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA)
Tips on Deadline Dates
Currently, with a staff of ten, SPA assists faculty in submitting 600+ applications to external sponsors requesting more than $200 million annually, and administers 400+ awarded grants and contracts totaling more than $94+ million. To enhance our efficiency in serving the UNMC campus community, SPA offers these tips:
- Notify SPA of plans to submit
- Allow five days for our review. Because applications no longer need to be in final form before being routed to SPA, SPA requests that investigators submit their key components for institutional review at least five days before the grant deadline
- Modifying the review process to incorporate an earlier approval is designed to give PIs additional flexibility in completing their applications
- Send budget pages early in the proposal process
- Use post-it notes or a cover letter to link paperwork sent to SPA with the PI, WBS# or other appropriate details
- Let us know how we can help you
- SPA cautions investigators to confirm whether the deadline date is a postmark or receipt deadline. For receipt deadlines a sponsor must receive the application by the deadline date. Postmark deadlines require that the application be postmarked by the given date.
- For NIH grants: when a receipt date falls on a weekend, it will be extended to the following Monday; when the date falls on a holiday, it will be extended to the following work day. Not all sponsors follow this practice; therefore, check the guidelines or contact the sponsor directly to know the actual deadline date.
- Typically, SPA uses express mail when submitting applications to sponsors because it allows us to document the postmark date as well as track the application package. When mailing your own proposal, obtain a legible postmark on the package and a receipt.
- Principal Investigators need to understand that extensions for grant deadlines are rarely granted. If a deadline extension is absolutely needed, it is necessary to get advance approval in writing. Typically, if a deadline is missed, the sponsor will advise you to prepare for the next funding cycle.
NIH prevents hand deliveries
- Due to heightened security at NIH, you may no longer personally deliver your application. NIH will accept applications only when delivered by the U.S. Postal Service or courier service (e.g., FedEx, DHL, UPS). The NIH emphasizes that there will be no exceptions (Source: November 13 NIH Guide notice.)