As you await news of your acceptance to a UNMC academic program, you may have questions regarding the financial aid process at UNMC.
Several UNMC programs do not admit students until late spring. To insure you do not miss application deadlines, we encourage you to submit your FAFSA data to UNMC before April 1st, regardless of your acceptance. UNMC will not the review the FAFSA until you are accepted. However, providing your FAFSA information to the UNMC Financial Aid Office prior to April 1st insures you will be considered for aid options that require the FAFSA be filed before April 1st. (We will use the signed date as the processing date)
A few things to keep in mind when filing the FAFSA:
1) When completing the FAFSA, please use the UNMC School Code: 006895. This school code applies for all UNMC campuses. Students applying to the College of Dentistry, Dental Hygiene, and Nursing must use this school code to insure the UNMC Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA data. Use the following Web link to complete the FAFSA. If you have never filed a FAFSA, you must first apply for a Federal PIN. The PIN can also be obtained at this Website.
2) The federal rules of independent/dependent student apply when completing the FAFSA. If you cannot answer YES to one or more of the dependency questions, you are a dependent student.
3) If you currently have your bachelor’s degree, and are entering into another undergraduate, bachelor’s degree program, youare notconsidered a graduate student. Graduate Students as defined as students pursuing a degree beyond the bachelor’s degree (Masters, PhD, MD, DDS, etc)
4) The following are Graduate/Professional programs. If you are applying to one of these programs, you may complete the FAFSA as an independent student: Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy, Clinical Profusion, Public Health, Graduate Studies.
5) Students applying to the programs of Dentistry and Pharmacy may want to consider providing parent financial data on the FAFSA. Dental and Pharmacy students have additional loan programs known as Health Professional Student Loans for Dental/Pharmacy students. These loans are Title VII loans, administered by the Department of Health and Human Services. DHHS requires parent information be provided on the FAFSA to be considered for these loans—regardless of you marital/ dependent children/ age status. If you wish to be considered for this loan, you must provide parent data on the FAFSA. Exceptions will not be made to this federal requirement. The parent financial data is used for consideration of the HPSL loan only.
6) The following programs are Undergraduate programs. If you are applying to one of these programs, you must follow the federal guidance for completing the FAFSA as a dependent or independent student: Nursing, Clinical Lab Sciences, Radiation Science Technology, Dental Hygiene, Medical Nutrition Sciences, Cytotechnology. (Med Nutrition and Cytotechnology are considered ‘Post Bachelor’s programs, they are not graduate programs).
7) For additional information regarding financial aid please visit our FAQ page.
Upon your acceptance to UNMC, the UNMC Office of Financial Aid will contact you to advise you of additional application requirements for: scholarships, federal financial aid verification, and loan processing.Upon acceptance, we will also advise you that we have received your FAFSA.
The following scholarship programs have FAFSA application filing deadlines:
- Nebraska Undergraduate Grant/Scholarship Programs:
The COLLEGEBOUND NEBRASKA Program: This program is available to undergraduate Nebraska Residents demonstrating PELL GRANT eligibility. The deadline to apply for this program is April 1. Your FAFSA data must be submitted on or before April 1st. FAFSA data dated after April 1 will not be considered for this funding.
- 2012-2013 Student Fees
- 2012-2013 Tuiton Rates
- 2013-2014 Student Fees
- 2013-2014 Tuition Rates
- Apply for Aid
- Types of Aid
Financial Aid Award Processing Tutorial
- Federal Verification
- Student Accounts
- Loan Processing
Financial Aid Forms
- Additional Information
Contact Financial Aid