Nebraska Residency

Nebraska Residency Requirements

It is important that students who are making plans to attend the University and who are not Nebraska residents are familiar with the effect residency policies may have on their financial preparation for attending the University. 

All students who are not graduates of an accredited Nebraska high school will automatically be classified as non-residents. Students who qualify for any of the residency categories listed below should complete and return the University's "Application for Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes" within the time frame indicated on the application. 

Download for Adobe Acrobat Reader, needed to open the application

Individuals seeking to establish resident status for tuition purposes, who are subject to the one (1) year minimum requirement, must be able to demonstrate they have established homes in Nebraska at least one (1) year prior to the time they apply for resident status.  Acceptable documentation for verifying the one (1) year residence period is listed in Section III of the Application for Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes 

An individual who moves to Nebraska primarily to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Nebraska will be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes for the duration of his or her attendance.  

Enrolling more than half time (7 semester hours or more) any term at a university, college or community college in Nebraska during the 12 months immediately preceding the term for which residency classification is sought will be considered strong evidence that an individual moved to Nebraska primarily to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Nebraska. The student would therefore be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes for the duration of his or her attendance at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. 

Common criteria for classification as a resident for tuition purposes include (others listed on application):

  • A person of legal age or an emancipated minor who for a period of 12 months has established a home in Nebraska where he or she is habitually present, and verified by documentary proof that he or she intends to make Nebraska his or her permanent residence.
  • Dependent minor (less than 19 years of age) whose parent/guardian has established a home in Nebraska.
  • Legal age dependent (19 years of age or older) who is a dependent for federal income tax purposes of a parent/guardian who has established a home in Nebraska.
  • Persons who are married to Nebraska residents who had established a home in Nebraska prior to the marriage.
  • Permanent resident aliens or individual who have been granted asylum or refugee status and who have established a home in Nebraska for at least 12 months.
  • Dependents or spouses of permanent University, state college, or community college employees in the State of Nebraska who have at least part-time (.5 FTE) employment status.
  • Active duty military personnel and their dependents whose permanent duty station or Home of Record is in Nebraska.
  • Persons who graduated from an accredited high school in Nebraska and were legal residents of Nebraska at the time of graduation.
  • Individuals who previously attended the University of Nebraska or one of the Nebraska state colleges as a resident and reenrolls within two (2) years of the last date of enrollment.
  • The following have been identified as Native American tribes indigenous to Nebraska or tribes that historically migrated to or from the State of Nebraska. Members of these tribes who live outside the State of Nebraska qualify for in-state tuition rates upon providing documentation of membership.  

It is the responsibility of the student to submit a copy of his or her tribal card to the Office of Admissions if she or he wants to be considered a resident for tuition purposes. Students who do not provide this documentation will be determined to be non-residents without further notification. 




Sac and Fox


Jicarilla Apache


Dakota Sioux

Northern Cheyenne



Lakota Sioux

Southern Cheyenne



Nakota Sioux




Santee Sioux





  • Individuals who, because of their special talents or skills, were recruited for full-time employment to the State of Nebraska by a business entity, and the spouse or dependents of such individuals are exempt from the 12 month domicile rule.  (This applies only to U.S. citizens or person who has become a permanent resident alien.)  
  • A person who resided with his or her parent, guardian, or conservator while the person was a student attending a public or private high school in this state and:
    • a) graduated from a public or private high school in this state or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state;
    • b) resided in this state for at least three years before the date the student graduated from the high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma;
    • c) registered as an entering student in a state postsecondary education institution not earlier than the 2006 fall semester; and
    • d) provided an affidavit stating that he or she will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity he or she is eligible to do so.
      • Return affidavit to the Registrar at or Room 2038 of the Student Life Center
      • A Notary is available at the Student Life Center to notarize your affidavit

If you have questions, you can email Student Services or phone at 402-559-4199.