What is a Tutor?
- A tutor is a person who gives individual, or in some cases, small group instruction. The purpose of tutoring is to help students help themselves, or to assist or guide them to the point at which they become an independent learner, and thus no longer need a tutor.
- Your goal is to guide the student through his/her own learning processes in order to foster independent learning, discovery, and confidence.
Benefits to the Tutor:
- You will learn the subject matter that is being tutored (more in depth).
- You will learn how to tutor.
- You will learn how to listen and communicate effectively.
- You will learn about learning.
Who will I be tutoring?
- University of Nebraska Medical students in undergraduate or professional school. All UNMC students are allowed to use tutoring services free of charge.
- Early goal setting will help you understand tutees’ needs and how best to help them.
Interested in becoming a tutor?
Applications for tutor positions are accepted throughout the year. Contact Sherman Petite at 402-559-4196.
Supplemental Forms: (Please DO NOT complete until hired)
* Weekly Tutorial Sign In Roster - Print prior to meeting with students
* The starred items are required for payment - Check with your local coordinator if you have questions!