An applicant must:
- Be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college (59 hours or less);
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
- Be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
- Not have participated in SMDEP previously.
Other factors considered:
- SAT and ACT scores;
- Identifies with a group that is underrepresented in medicine and dentistry;
- Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantage background;
- Has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations;
- Has local and/or regional residency; or
- Submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.
Application for Admission
Application opens November 1. Applicants must apply though the national SMDEP Website prior to March 1.
UNMC will provide notification of admission decisions once the National Program Office has a completed application by one of the following decision dates:
Admissions decisions are released on February 15 for applications completed by February 1.
Admissions decisions are released on April 1 for applications completed after February 1.
Admission actions will be submitted online and will be viewable to the applicant on the dates stated above. Applicants can monitor their status by visiting the "View Status" page within their SMDEP Web application. Applicants should not contact UNMC (or any SMDEP site) about admissions decisions prior to the release dates.
Applicants have up to five business days after the admissions decision release date to confirm their acceptance to one of their designated sites. Applicants must confirm their acceptance on the "View Status" page within the SMDEP Web application.
When applicant selects the "confirmed" box online, an email will be automatically generated to the chosen program site. The program site will contact the applicant with further instructions concerning their confirmation.
- Confirm at one site only! Please do not confirm at a site unless you are sure it is the one you want to attend. All confirmations are final. If you choose to withdraw from your confirmed site, you may not be considered at any other SMDEP site during that summer.