UNMC is the professional and scientific home of determined, brilliant researchers who work at the forefront of fields such as transplant medicine, cancer, neurodevelopment and genomics.
The research outlook:
- Nearly 700 research projects are underway at UNMC today, in bench science labs, translational research centers and clinical trials.
- UNMC’s research funding continues to grow with over 66% growth since the beginning of the national financial crisis in 2008. This growth has resulted in the creation of more than 3,200 highly skilled jobs in the state.
- 196 Full-Time Investigators
- 462 Graduate Students and 177 Post-Doctoral Research Associates contribute to a vibrant research community.
- The twin Durham Research Center towers are home to a combined total of 215 labs and more than 550,000 square feet of space dedicated to research
A transformational project for all Nebraskans...
The $370 million cancer center represents one of the largest construction jobs ever in Nebraska.
A transformational project for all Nebraskans, it will cost more than double what it cost to build the two Durham Research Towers.
The cancer center will be built on the west side of the medical center campus and includes four facilities -- a multidisciplinary outpatient clinic, a 98-lab research tower, a hospital tower with 108 beds dedicated to oncology patients, and an ambulatory care clinic dedicated to non-oncology specialties.
It is expected to create 1,200 new jobs at UNMC and The Nebraska Medical Center and generate $100 million in new payroll. In addition, it will create another 3,457 indirect jobs.
The cancer center is expected to open in 2016.
- Research Handbook
Research Fast Facts
Centers and Major Programs
Download the 2012-2015
UNMC Strategic Plan
UNMC's Clinical Partner named to Becker's Hospital Review 2014 list of "100 Great Hospitals in America"
Enterprise physicians featured on 'Best Doctors' list
A total of 181 UNMC and The Nebraska Medical Center physicians have been recognized on this year's list of Best Doctors in America®. The doctors include private practice physicians as well as full and part-time faculty at UNMC who are also affiliated with UNMC Physicians, the UNMC faculty physician group. Read more...
UNMC Programs ranked by US News & World Reports:
- Primary Care ranked 6th
- Physician Assistant Program ranked 16th
- Pharmacy Program ranked 32nd
- Physical Therapy ranked 34th
- Master's in Nursing Program ranked 36th
- Research ranked at 64th
Through world-class research and patient care, UNMC generates breakthroughs that make life better for people throughout Nebraska and beyond. Its education programs train more health professionals than any other institution in the state.