UNMC is the professional and scientific home of determined, brilliant researchers who work at the forefront of fields such as transplant medicine, cancer, neurodevelopment and genomics.
With collaboration from a highly engaged community of skilled professionals and access to world-class facilities, UNMC researchers identify and focus on critical questions that lead to new knowledge and, in the long term, life-changing therapies. Breakthroughs like stem cell transplantation to treat cancer have proven critical to Nebraska, the nation and the world.
The research outlook:
- Nearly 700 research projects are underway at UNMC today, in bench science labs, translational research centers and clinical trials.
- UNMC’s active research funding from external sources now exceeds $170 million and has resulted in the creation of more than 3,200 highly skilled jobs in the state.
- 196 Full-Time Investigators
- 462 Graduate Students and 177 Post-Doctoral Research Associates contribute to a vibrant research community.
- The twin Durham Research Center towers are home to a combined total of 215 labs and more than 550,000 square feet of space dedicated to research
A transformational project for all Nebraskans...
The $370 million cancer center represents one of the largest construction jobs ever in Nebraska.
A transformational project for all Nebraskans, it will cost more than double what it cost to build the two Durham Research Towers.
The cancer center will be built on the west side of the medical center campus and includes four facilities -- a multidisciplinary outpatient clinic, a 98-lab research tower, a hospital tower with 108 beds dedicated to oncology patients, and an ambulatory care clinic dedicated to non-oncology specialties.
It is expected to create 1,200 new jobs at UNMC and The Nebraska Medical Center and generate $100 million in new payroll. In addition, it will create another 3,457 indirect jobs.
The cancer center is expected to open in 2016.
- Research Handbook
- Areas of Emphasis
Research Fast Facts
Centers and Major Programs
Download the 2012-2015
UNMC Strategic Plan
UNMC Programs ranked by US News & World Reports:
- Primary Care ranked 6th
- Physician Assistant Program ranked 16th
- Pharmacy Program ranked 32nd
- Physical Therapy ranked 34th
- Master's in Nursing Program ranked 36th
- Research ranked at 64th
Through world-class research and patient care, UNMC generates breakthroughs that make life better for people throughout Nebraska and beyond. Its education programs train more health professionals than any other institution in the state.