Melody Montgomery, Editorial Grants Specialist
As part of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, Melody assists UNMC faculty members with proposal development and editing. Support services include copy editing for grammar, style, consistency, and word choice, formatting to agency guidelines, and commentary on the content and flow of the proposal. Grant writing and grant editing services are 70% subsidized through the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Research resulting in a fee of $10/hr. Manuscript editing services are also offered, but are not subsidized. The fee for manuscript edits is $30/hr. Email Melody Montgomery at firstname.lastname@example.org to check the current availability and to schedule time for editing and more details. Depending on the content and notice provided, a two-week timeframe for edits is considered standard, and edits take place on a first-come first-serve basis. Please send your electronic documents and the completed request form to email@example.com.
For information on upcoming sessions and additional resources for UNMC researchers, please visit the Researchers Users Group (RUG) website.
Links to the recordings and handouts of workshops: (to download handouts, right click and choose "Save Link As...")
- NIH Specific Aims Page: (Presentation Slides)
- Strategic Grant Writing: (Presentation Slides/Handout)
- The Art of Scientific Writing: (Video of Recorded Presentation with Slides) ~or~ (Presentation Slides/Handout)
- Writing Your Best NIH Proposal: (Video of Recorded Presentation with Slides) ~or~ (Presentation Slides/Handout)
- Grant Writing for Success: Influence of the New NIH Guidelines: (Video of Recorded Presentation with Slides) ~or~ (Presentation Slides/Handout)
- Writing Productively: The Road to Academic Success: (Video of Recorded Presentation with Slides) ~or~(Presentation Slides/Handout)
- Improving Your Grant Proposal: (Video of Recorded Presentation with Slides) ~or~ (Presentation Slides/Handout)
Online resources for proposal-writing advice:
- NIAID "Ten Steps to a Winning R01 Application"
- NIAID "Sample R01 Applications and Summary Statements"
- NIH "Plain Language Initiative"
- NIAID "Strategy to Write the Research Plan"
- Writing your NIH application
- The Grantsmanship Center
- A Guide for Proposal Writing from the National Science Foundation
- NIAID "All About Grants"Tutorials
- NCI "Preparing Grant Applications"
- NIGMS "Tips for New NIH Grant Applicants"
- The Foundation Center
- The Art of Writing Proposals
For writing guides, visit the following links:
- Guide to Grammar and Style by Jack Lynch
- University of Connecticut Writing Center
- Comments on Scientific Writing and Editing
For more information on these editorial services, please contact:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
DRC I 4010 (zip 5875)
Research Support Offices
- Clinical Research Resources
- Nebraska Biobank
Grant Writing Support
Centers and Major Programs
- Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA)
- Comparative Medicine
- Government Relations
- Intellectual Property Assistance
- VCR Managed Core Facilities
- Core Facility Scheduling and Billing