Transporting & Shipping Internationally

UNO UNMC lockup

Export Review Form Transporting & Shipping Items Contacts  Export Regulations  Biologicals & Hazardous Materials
 Carry On & Checked Bags  DOT/IATA Training  Export Control Training  TSCA Compliance  Importing Biologicals


Transporting & Shipping Items Internationally

UNMC and UNO conforms to strict government regulations. When sharing, shipping, transmitting, or transferring goods (testing kits, chemicals, equipment, hardware and materials including biological materials), technology (technical information and data), software/codes (commercial or custom) to a foreign national in the US or a foreign individual/entity or country outside the US, you are required to have an Export Control Review done by Export Control and Environmental Health & Safety. After the review, we can provide guidance and assistance concerning the permitting, licensing, packaging, and shipping of these materials.

An Export Control Review Form must be filled out and returned to to start the review process. 


Primary Contact Information

Trevor Carritt, UNMC Export Control & EHS Specialist

Sam Padilla, Export Control Director
Export Control (link)

Nick Kocmich, Export Control Coordinator

Brenda L. Kolobara, UNO Research Compliance Officer

Patrick Wheeler, UNO Environmental Health & Safety

George Miedl, Supply Control Supervisor, Shipping & Receiving


Export Control and International Shipments

It is the University of Nebraska’s policy that all personnel, including employees, visiting scholars, and students, comply with all United States export control laws and regulations, including the Department of Commerce (DOC) Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the Department of State International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and the regulations administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Depending on the country of destination, controlled technologies and commodities regulated under ITAR and DOC may require a license prior to shipment.

The Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) have a wider impact on research and development. EAR regulates the export of so-called “dual-use” technologies listed in the lengthy and detailed Commerce Control List (CCL). Dual-use technologies and commodities have civil, commercial, and peaceful purposes but are listed on the CCL because of their strategic value or potential for military use or terrorism. Many CCL items are not hazardous, valuable, or uncommon. The CCL contains many technologies and commodities commonly found in laboratories or used for field research, including:

The Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulates defense articles and services. Regulated items are listed on the U.S. Munitions List (USML). The USML is based on whether an article or service is deemed inherently military in character.

The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) enforces prohibited travel and asset transfers with countries subject to U.S. boycotts, trade sanctions, and embargoes. The State Department regulates the export of inherently military technologies in accordance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

Shipment Legal Requirements


What Does Not Require an Export Review 

Published works and personal correspondence are not subject to export controls and, therefore, can be shipped to international recipients without needing to submit a Request for Export Controls Review Application, unless the total value of the shipment exceeds $2499. 

“Published works” include scholarly works (journals, individual articles, textbooks, presentation papers, publicly available theses and dissertations, posters etc.), published books, magazines and newspapers, and similar printed material. Unpublished manuscripts may be subject to export controls if they contain research data not intended for publication, so consult with your export compliance coordinator prior to exporting these items

“Personal correspondence” includes personal and professional messages (letters to relatives, communication with a conference organizer etc.), awards (certificates, plaques etc.), and personal items (food, clothing etc.). 

If your shipment includes equipment, software, or chemical, biological, or radioactive materials, you will still need to submit a Request for Export Controls Review Application. Contact Sam Padilla at 402-559-9328 or for additional information.


Biological and Hazardous Materials

The transportation of biological and hazardous materials is highly regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA). UNMC and UNO personnel are required to adhere to the strict training and packaging requirements of these entities. Guidance and training are provided to help transport research materials safety and lawfully.

Shipping Biological Links

Export Biological Links

Hazardous Materials

Hazard Classes are categories of hazards that are assigned to HM/DG. All regulated material will fit within one of these classes:

  1. Explosives
  2. Gases
  3. Flammable liquids
  4. Flammable solids
  5. Oxidizing substances
  6. Toxic chemicals and Infectious substances.
  7. Radioactive material
  8. Corrosives
  9. Misc. (Dry Ice, lithium batteries)

Hidden Dangerous Goods. Products may contain Dangerous Goods that are not readily apparent. If you are shipping any of the following, please contact EHS at 402-559-6356 for further determination.

Aviation Regulated Solids or Liquids are any material that has narcotic, noxious, irritating, or other properties such that, in the event of spillage or leakage on an aircraft, could cause extreme annoyance or discomfort to crew members so as to prevent the correct performance of assigned duties.

Chemicals are transported to, from, and within our university for a variety of reasons. This can include sending chemicals to collaborating universities or companies, returning products to manufacturers, faculty shipping chemicals off-site to other institutions when accepting a new position, and when laboratories move from one building to another on-site.  Please contact EHS for guidance in determining which chemicals are regulated by DOT or IATA. Chemicals that are not regulated may be shipped by the employee. Chemicals that are regulated must be shipped by EHS. UNMC/UNO/NM employees or their departments are responsible for all costs associated with transporting chemicals.


Carry On & Checked Bags (TSA)


DOT/IATA Training


Export Control Training


Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Compliance for Chemical Shipments

Information regarding documentation for chemical shipments subject to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Toxic Substances Control Act.


Importing Shipping Documentation and Labeling


Shipping Forms & Links