Application period opens in April, 2018
Initial Membership Criteria
Application will be by self-nomination and will include:
1. Online application
- Delineation of established or emerging area(s) excellence per this matrix with associated narrative with supporting evidence
- Potential interest group involvement
- IAE committee interest
2. Letter of support from candidate’s chair, supervisor, or appropriate designee.
3. Letters of support from two students, learners, or early career faculty members.
4. Current CV.
Criteria for continuing membership
UNMC Faculty Members
• must devote at least 12 hours annually to academy functions, including participate in two general academy meetings per year (live or via teleconferencing).and one educational service / scholarship activity equivalent with the approval of the Membership committee). Examples of these include: Involvement in the creation or presentation of:
• Educational workshop per year.
• Serve as a teaching coach/peer review a course or module (item larger than an individual lecture).
• Mentor early career educator.
• Create teaching video/module for the academy or other peer-reviewed website
• Author a peer reviewed educational publication.
• Present an educationally-related project at a local, national, or international meeting
• must devote at least 3 hours per year to academy functions, Participate in one general academy meeting per year (live or via teleconferencing is strongly encouraged). In addition, community educators should participate in one educational service/scholarship activity form of teaching service with the approval of the Membership committee):
• Serve as an advisor/peer reviewer for the development or revision of a course or module (item larger than an individual lecture).
• Mentor a health science student
• Serve as an advisor or peer reviewer for an academy-related program or project
• Present or be involved in the preparation of an academy-related event
Members are required to report their service in the above areas at the end of each academic year to the Membership Committee for review. Those members that the Committee feels are at risk of not fulfilling the criteria for continuing membership will meet with the director/associate directors.
- Up-to-date list of extramural educational grants, posted on the IAE website and disseminated electronically to members on a regular basis
- Priority assistance from academy staff with external educational grant applications
- Priority access to academy educational scholar for assistance with design of educational projects and preparation of posters, presentations, manuscripts, etc.
- Eligibility for internal IAE academy grants ($7,500, each), awarded annually
- Established structure for members’ educational portfolio, customized to members’ individual P&T guidelines
- Peer review of educational manuscripts, abstracts, posters, etc. by IAE members (useful for educational portfolio)
- Peer review of members’ educational activities (lectures, etc.) by IAE members (useful for educational portfolio).
- Potential to participate in IAE educational programs (counting as at least Level 2 Teaching activities under P&T guidelines)