Take part in LGBTQ+ events
UNMC believes in providing an inclusive, welcoming climate for people of all orientations and identities — and we would love for you to join us at our LGBTQ+ events! If you would like to receive updates on upcoming activities sponsored by the LGBTQ+ Employee Alliance, please email us. The email list is internal to the group; please let us know if you would prefer to be included by Bcc.
First Monday of Every Month | Strategy Meeting
12-1 p.m. | via Zoom livestream | Contact us to receive the Zoom link
Join us for our monthly strategy meeting to talk to fellow LGBTQ+ members and allies, and see how you can get involved in various educational, social, and outreach opportunities. They are open to all UNMC and Nebraska Medicine faculty, house officers, students and employees.
June 12 - June 18, 2021 | "CURED" Film Screening
Register to view the film
Join us for private virtual screening of CURED, co-sponsored by the UNMC Department of Psychiatry, the UNMC Office of Inclusion, and the UNMC College of Medicine Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Described as "fascinating" (Hollywood Reporter), "riveting" (The Queer Review) and "one of the best documentaries of this or any year" (British Film Institute) — and the winner of Audience Favorite awards at Frameline and NewFest — CURED takes viewers inside the David-versus-Goliath battle that led the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from its manual of mental illnesses in 1973. The film spotlights a diverse group of activists who achieved this epic victory in the movement for LGBTQ equality.
June 17, 2021 | Panel Discussion about CURED
6-7 p.m. | Via Zoom livestream | Add event to calendar
Join us for a discussion about CURED moderated by Dr. Arthur Kornitsky and featuring the film’s co-director, Bennett Singer; activist and film interviewee, Rev. Magora Kennedy; retired Boston psychiatrist and film interviewee, Dr. Richard Pillard; Nebraska State Senator, Megan Hunt and UNMC Director of Inclusion and psychiatrist, Dr. Sheritta Strong.
July 10, 2021 | Heartland Pride Parade
10-11 a.m. | Old Market in Downtown Omaha | View parade route
UNMC and Nebraska Medicine will participate in the 2021 Heartland Pride Parade on July 10 (yes, July). We will assemble at 9 a.m. to march/stroll/roll in the Pride Parade that starts at 10 a.m. Family and friends are welcome. Wear your preordered 2021 UNMC and Nebraska Medicine co-branded black pride shirt or any UNMC or Nebraska Medicine shirt. Email us for information or to volunteer.
July 10, 2021 | Heartland Pride Festival
12-4 p.m. | Baxter Arena in Omaha | View scheduled events and buy tickets
UNMC and Nebraska Medicine will have a booth at the 2021 Heartland Pride Festival following the parade. Stop by to say hi while you're enjoying the rest of the festival's indoor and outdoor activities. Email us for information or to volunteer.
Other NU campus events
See what's going on at some of our other campuses:
Past UNMC events
Typically held over lunch, the Education and Sharing Series events are open to all UNMC and Nebraska Medicine faculty, students and employees. The group welcomes those from the LGBTQ+ community and allies, as well as other health care professionals wanting to learn more about health care issues in the LGBTQ+ community and diversity at UNMC and Nebraska Medicine.
- May 20, 2021: Queer in Medicine - Representation and Allyship featuring Dr. Blair Peters, in conjuction with the Tulane School of Medicine
- Jan. 17, 2019: Building and maintaining trust with LGBTQ+ patients and employees through inclusive daily practices featuring Dr. Jessi Hitchins
- Aug. 11, 2017: HRC and Healthcare Equality Index featuring Jim Kieffer, Organizational Development Consultant for Employee Engagement at Nebraska Medicine
- Jan. 27, 2017: LGBTQ+ Youth Mental Health featuring Dr. Joan Daughton from Children’s Hospital and Medical Center of Omaha
- Nov. 30, 2016: Best Practices for Educating LGBTQ+ Students in the Classroom and Clinic
- Sept. 28, 2016: Transgender Health Issues with guest speakers Dr. Jean Amoura (UNMC) and Dr. Jay Irwin (UNO)
- July 28, 2016: Bisexuality and the Local Community
- June 2020: Watch recordings of our virtual Pride events:
- June 29, 2019: Pride Festivities at the local Heartland Pride Parade and Heartland Pride Festival — see pictures from the event
- June 28, 2019: Schwartz Rounds: Accidental Activists featuring guest speakers Mark Phariss and Vic Holmes who speak about their fight for marriage equality in Texas that began in 2013
- June 17, 2019: River City Mixed Chorus, Nebraska's largest LGBTQ arts organization, performs "Rhythm of Change — 35 Years of the River City Mixed Chorus." at the Holland Performing Arts Center
- June 30, 2018: Pride Festivities at the local Heartland Pride Parade and Heartland Pride Festival
- June 22, 2018: Schwartz Center Rounds: “Living an Authentic Life: Triumphs and Tribulations of LGBTQ+ Community and Allies” featuring panelists Ruth Marimo, Dr. Jean Amoura, Megan Smith-Sallans, and Evan Peavy — read the UNMC Today story about the event
- 04.29.21: Zoom social hour with speed-friending, trivia and games
- 06.28.19: Bowling Social with Union Pacific's LGBT group, Bridges
- 05.18.19: Spring Picnic at Lake Zorinsky
- 02.21.19: Mix & Mingle Drop-In Event at Mama’s Pizza
- 01.18.19: Bowling Social with Omaha GLBT Sports League
- 12.15.18: Holiday Party at a private residence
- 11.15.18: Mix & Mingle Drop-In Event at Stirnella Bar & Kitchen
- 10.16.18: Queer Omaha Archives Tour with Amy Schindler, Director of Archives & Special Collections
- 10.11.18: Come Out for Cupcakes: Celebrating National Coming Out Day
- Aug. 25, 2018: LGBTQ+ Employee Alliance Picnic and BBQ in Elmwood Park.
- April 17, 2018: Mix & Mingle Event at Herbe Sainte, a New Orleans inspired cocktail bar in Aksarben Village
- Dec. 11, 2017: Holiday Mix & Mingle Drop-In Event at Corkscrew Wine & Cheese in the Blackstone District
- Aug. 28, 2017: Mix & Mingle Drop-In Event at a faculty member's home
- April 10, 2017: Spring Mix & Mingle at Leadbelly in Midtown Crossing
- Feb. 13, 2017: Mix & Mingle Drop-In Event at Cantina Laredo, Midtown Crossing
- Dec. 5, 2016: Holiday Social at Brix, Midtown Crossing
- Oct. 11, 2016: National Coming Out Day Celebration at Cantina Laredo, Midtown Crossing
- Aug. 23, 2016: Get to Know Each Other Social at Brix, Midtown Crossing
- Oct. 24, 2017: Stigma and Sexual Assault Talk featuring Dr. Jay Irwin, Associate Professor of Sociology at UNO
- Oct. 13, 2017: GenderWorks: Advancing Transgender Care in the Heartland — 2017 Conference
- Oct. 11, 2017: Come Out for Cupcakes to help celebrate National Coming Out Day
- Sept. 21, 2017: Author Book Reading by Dr. Loren Olson — watch the book reading and informal conversation at the McGoogan Health Sciences Library
- Sept. 12, 2017: Early Responses to the US HIV Epidemic featuring Jason Coleman from UNO who spoke on the topic of "Rare Cancer Seen in 41 Homosexuals: Early Responses to the US HIV Epidemic"
- April 3, 2017: Special Event Featuring Dr. Loren A. Olson who discusses challenging stereotypes of what it means to be old and gay
- March 29, 2017: COPH Grand Rounds Featuring Dr. Raymond C. Martins who focuses on integration of primary care and public health in the context of a federally qualified health center serving LGBTQ populations in the District of Columbia