UNMC Medical Laboratory Science Program Curriculum
Note: Degree Completion Advancement (MLT to MLS) will have a different schedule from what is listed below, but are required to complete the listed courses.
The curriculum includes theory, practical application and technical performance experiences gained through lectures, clinical case studies, writing activities, small group work, independent study, and supervised laboratory experiences. The patient-oriented learning environment includes all areas of a full-service, accredited clinical pathology laboratory.
Required courses totaling 43 semester hours of credit include:
FALL SEMESTER COURSES
Completed May-August (Student Laboratory)
- MLS 407 Clinical Laboratory Operations - 2 credit hours
- MLS 408 Introduction to Clinical Hematology – 2 credit hours
- MLS 409 Introduction to Clinical Microbiology – 2 credit hours
- MLS 410 Introduction to Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis – 1 credit hour
- MLS 411 Introduction to Clinical Immunohematology – 1 credit hour
Completed August – December (Clinical Rotation I)
- MLS 413 Clinical Endocrinology/Toxicology - 1 credit hour
- MLS 414 Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 416 Clinical Hematology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 418 Clinical Microbiology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 420 Clinical Immunology and Molecular Diagnostics - 2 credit hours
- MLS 422 Clinical Immunohematology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 430 Clinical Laboratory Management I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 442 Clinical Immunohematology Laboratory Practicum I - 1 credit hours
- MLS 444 Clinical Core Laboratory Practicum I - 1 credit hours
- MLS 448 Clinical Microbiology Practicum I - 1 credit hours
SPRING SEMESTER COURSES
Completed January – May (Clinical Rotation II)
- MLS 412 Clinical Laboratory Theory, Application and Correlation - 5 credit hours
- MLS 415 Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 417 Clinical Hematology II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 419 Clinical Microbiology II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 423 Clinical Immunohematology II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 431 Clinical Laboratory Management II - 3 credit hours
- MLS 443 Clinical Immunohematology Laboratory Practicum II - 1 credit hour
- MLS 445 Clinical Core Laboratory Practicum II - 1 credit hour
- MLS 449 Clinical Microbiology Practicum II - 1 credit hour
The requirements are covered in a 40-hour per week schedule throughout the 11+ month program.
Formal lectures, writing assignments, group activities and clinical case studies are coordinated by the UNMC faculty from the Omaha campus site and delivered online or coordinated via various distance learning technologies to students at distant clinical sites. All course descriptions.
All required courses must be completed with a minimum passing grade of 70% (C-) to meet program requirements for graduation.