Magnetic Resonance ImagingAdmissions Requirements:
- Graduate from an accredited Radiography program. Students in their final months of study are eligible to apply.
- Current certification by the ARRT.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Radiography program GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a shadow experience with a MRI Program Representative. (Email to schedule a shadow experience.)
MRI Admissions Policies are in the CAHP Handbook.
Enrollment in each program is limited and competitive. The admissions committee of each program, composed of program faculty and administration, evaluates the qualifications of each applicant and makes the final selections for admission.
For admittance into the program, the technologist must have completed an accredited radiography program and be certified in their profession (ARRT).
Admission to the MRI Program requires the applicant to successfully complete the following prior to matriculation:
University / College Required Prerequisites
Successful completion of 32 semester hours at an accredited college or university. The required semester hours must include the following:
- Language / Social Sciences (12 semester hours)
- Course work meeting these requirements may include, but is not limited to, literature, composition, communication, speech, foreign language, philosophy, psychology, sociology, art, history, or religion.
- Mathematics (3 semester hours)
- College Algebra, Statistics, or higher mathematics
- Natural Sciences (9 semester hours)
- Course work meeting this requirement may include, but is not limited to, anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, physics, or earth science.
- Electives (8 semester hours) – suggested elective courses: anatomy & physiology II, science, mathematics, humanities/social sciences, computer science.
A maximum of 6 College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Advanced Placement (AP) semester
hours will be accepted for transfer. CLEP semester hours in math and science will not be accepted & no
more than 3 CLEP or AP hours of English Composition will be accepted.
All science courses must be basic science courses for science majors.
College prerequisites, course requirements, and program requirements are subject to change.
Applicants should review the Technical Standards and MRI Safety Information prior to applying for admission. Accepted students will be screened for MRI safety prior to matriculation.
All applicants, regardless of application completion or acceptance status, are encouraged to submit their FAFSA data to UNMC prior to April 1st to ensure consideration for all aid options. Please refer to the financial aid process page: Apply for Financial Aid.
- Accepted students are guaranteed timely and appropriate clinical placement.
- Accepted students will be required to complete a background check and substance abuse testing prior to matriculation into the program. Depending on clinical site, additional requirements may need to be met or updated.
- During the program, students will be assigned to periodic evening/weekend rotations which will not comprise more than 25% of the total clinical clock hours.
Accepted students will be assigned to a campus location. Once a campus location is assigned, the student will be expected to remain at their assigned campus location for the duration of the program. Students are asked for their campus location preference during the application process; however, there is no guarantee as to what campus location will be offered. Campus location options: Omaha or Kearney. See the Campus Locations page for more information and housing options.