BSMLS DAO CurriculumThe plan of study includes 35 hours of theory and practical application experiences gained through recorded lectures, assignments/exercises, virtual laboratory simulations, and case studies. Coursework is completed independently or in small groups with faculty guidance. The faculty advisor will work with the student to select an appropriate schedule to complete their specific plan of study.
Orientation Courses are available for review purposes
- MLS 407 Clinical Laboratory Operations - 2 credit hours
- MLS 408 Introduction to Clinical Hematology – 2 credit hours
- MLS 409 Introduction to Clinical Microbiology – 2 credit hours
- MLS 410 Introduction to Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis – 1 credit hour
- MLS 411 Introduction to Clinical Immunohematology – 1 credit hour
Required courses to be completed totaling 35 semester hours of credit include:
Level I Courses
- MLS 413 Clinical Endocrinology/Toxicology - 1 credit hour
- MLS 414 Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 416 Clinical Hematology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 418 Clinical Microbiology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 420 Clinical Immunology/Molecular - 2 credit hours
- MLS 422 Clinical Immunohematology I - 2 credit hours
- MLS 430 Clinical Laboratory Management I - 2 credit hours (Fall semester only)
- MLS 442 Clinical Immunohematology Laboratory Practicum I - 1 credit hours
- MLS 444 Clinical Core Laboratory Practicum I - 1 credit hours
- MLS 448 Clinical Microbiology Practicum I - 1 credit hours
- MLS 412 Clinical Lab Theory, Application and Correlation – 5 credit hours (requires synchronous class time via videoconference)
- MLS 415 Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis II – 2 credit hours
- MLS 417 Clinical Hematology II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 419 Clinical Microbiology I - 2 credit hoursMLS 423 Clinical Immunohematology II - 2 credit hours
- MLS 431 Clinical Laboratory Management II - 2 credit hours (Spring semester only)
- MLS 443 Clinical Immunohematology Laboratory Practicum II - 1 credit hours
- MLS 445 Clinical Core Laboratory Practicum II - 1 credit hours
- MLS 449 Clinical Microbiology Practicum II - 1 credit hours
Curriculum (all course descriptions) is coordinated by the UNMC faculty from the Omaha campus and delivered online or coordinated via various distance learning technologies to students at distant clinical sites. All required courses must be completed with a minimum passing grade of 70% (C-) to meet program requirements for graduation.
Course offerings are subject to change based on instructor availability, enrollment, and technology.
Students enrolled in the BSMLS Degree Advancement Option are expected to make satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of their Individual Plan of Study and degree requirements. All courses must be passed with a grade of “C -” or better. Courses may be repeated only once. Courses are to be completed during the registered semester.
Upon successful completion of the BSMLS curriculum (5 year maximum), students will receive diploma and graduation information from UNMC Student Services. Students must be awarded a minimum of 120 total semester hours of college credit (UNMC courses + transfer credit+professional MLT program credit hour award) by the UNMC Office of Academic Records to be eligible to graduate from UNMC.
To obtain your transcripts, please visit the UNMC Student Services website.
Diplomas are issued once a year in May. Upon successful completion of all requirements by the deadline dates set by the Program, graduates of the BSMLS DAO are welcome to participate in the graduation ceremonies in Omaha, Nebraska.