Advancing Rural Primary Care II:
A national conference on the effective utilization of physician assistants
This conference took place March 23-24, 2017 in Omaha, NE. Photos from the conference HERE.
- Explored current models of health care delivery that build and sustain a rural primary care PA workforce.
- Described the health care outcomes (including cost implications) related to primary care practices that effectively utilize PAs.
- Developed strategies to resolve barriers to team-based care utilizing PAs in rural primary health care.
- Advanced instructional innovations to enhance student preparation for meeting rural health care needs.
- Created opportunities to collaborate with other health care stakeholders to maximize effective PA utilization.
- Susan Anderson, MD, Chair, Family Medicine at U South Dakota; Chair, SD Area Health Education Centers, and Director, USD Frontier and Rural Medicine (FARM) Program
- Ann Davis, Vice President, Constituent Organization Outreach and Advocacy, American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Lindsay Fox, MS, PA-C, U New Mexico, director of ECHO telehealth education project
- Robert Freelove, MD, CEO/Program Director, Salina Family Healthcare Center & Smoky Hill Family Medicine Residency Program
- Joel Hill, PA-C, MPAS, Director of Distance Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison PA Program with guests Erin McCarthy-Orth, BS, UW-Madison Students Services Program Manager, and Stefany Nordby, PA-C, MPAS, a 2015 PA graduate from distance education program now practicing in rural SW Minnesota
- Roderick Hooker, PhD, MPBA, PA-C, Health policy analyst (retired) on clinical productivity and economics of PA employment
- David Keahey, PA-C, MSPH, Health Policy Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- William Kohlhepp, DHSc, PA-C, President, PA Education Association; Dean, Quinnipiac University School of Health Sciences
- Dee LeBeau-Hein, MS, Certified addictions counselor, consultant and administrator; Member, Great Plains Tribal Chairmen’s Health Board (represents 17 tribal communities across 4 states)
- Mary Moore, PA-C, Mayor of Pearsall, TX
- Keith Mueller, PhD, Gerhard Hartman Professor and Head, Department of Health Management and Policy, College of Public Health, University of Iowa; Director of the Rural Policy Research Institute (RUPRI) Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis
- Connie Reimers-Hild, PhD, Associate Executive Director & Chief Futurist of Rural Futures Institute
- Brian Skow, MD, Avera Medical Group, emergency medicine and telemedicine in rural practice, South Dakota
- “Rural as Mission” panel of PA educators: Central Michigan U PA Program, U North Dakota PA Program and Southern Illinois U PA Program
- Brock Slabach, Senior Vice President of the National Rural Health Association
- “Strategies for Rural PAs” panel on rural PA practice: Locum tenens PA group, KS; rural hospital administrator, KS; PA owning/managing rural clinics, NE
- Jasmine Sulaiman, MD, 2016 Country Doctor of the Year, runs 4 Federally Qualified Community Health Centers
This conference is supported by a Physician Assistant Training in Primary Care Grant from the Bureau of Health Professions, HRSA, Title VII, Section 747 (a), Public Health Service Act as amended by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P>L> 111-148).