The Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship at the University of Nebraska Medical Center offers a broad based clinical experience including, but not limited to:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Valve repair and replacement
- Aorta surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Heart failure surgery
- Heart and lung transplants
- Hybrid room procedures
- Adult congenital heart procedures
Our goal for the fellowship is to train and mentor future cardiothoracic anesthesiologists to excel clinically, and in the fields of education and research. We are committed to providing the highest quality experience and education for each of our fellows.
The fellowship is ACGME-accredited and we offer two fellowship positions each year. Given our clinical volume, the fellow will have an abundance of experience and personalized training. The University of Nebraska Department of Anesthesiology continues to provide echocardiography education that is second to none. Fellows will participate in echocardiography training that varies depending on their level of expertise as soon as they begin their fellowship. Fellows will also achieve minimal numbers of echocardiography exams required for certification in the Examination of Special Competence in Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography following successful completion of the exam. They will also have the unique experience of learning and becoming proficient at Transthoracic Echocardiography.
The Department of Anesthesiology and Faculty:
- Rebecca Aron, MD, Program Director of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship, Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Tara Brakke, MD, F.A.S.E., Division Chief of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Nicholas Markin, MD, F.A.S.E., Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Steven Lisco, MD, F.C.C.P., F.C.C.M., Chairman of Anesthesiology, UNMC, Medical Director of the CICU, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Sasha Shillcutt, MD, F.A.S.E., Director of Perioperative Echocardiography, Director of Echocardiography Simulation Laboratory, Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Amy Duhachek-Stapelman, MD, Co-Director of Quality Assurance, Assistant Program Director for Residency Program, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Katie Goergen, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Ellen K. Roberts, MD, Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Thomas E. Schulte, MD, Medical Director of Perioperative Services, Assistant Clinical Director, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Daniel Johnson, MD, Program Director of Critical Care Anesthesiology Fellowship Program, Division Chief of Critical Care Anesthesiology, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Mo Shukry, MD, PhD, Chief, Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology, Children’s Hospital and Medical Center, Program Director of Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship Program, Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Thomas Porter, MD, Director of Echocardiography, Professor, Department of Surgery, UNMC
- Mark Moreno, BS, CCP, LP, Director of the Cardiovascular Perfusion Program, UNMC
- Daniel R. Anderson, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine-Division of Cardiology, UNMC
- M. Megan Chacon, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Austin Adams, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Andrew Maresch, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
- Jeffrey Songster, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, UNMC
Cardiothoracic fellows will participate in didactic lectures and conferences while on each rotation. Lectures include education related to cardiothoracic anesthesiology, pediatric cardiothoracic anesthesiology, critical care, and cardiology related topics. Conferences include multidisciplinary cardiothoracic Quality and M & M conferences, multidisciplinary valve conferences and visiting professor Grand Rounds. Fellows will also participate in a 2-week focused echocardiography rotation that prepares fellows for the operating rooms as well as the Advanced PTE Exam. The Cardiothoracic Journal Club meets 6 times per year to address cutting edge cardiothoracic topics. Fellows will also take part in 2 cardiothoracic-specific simulations each year and 4 Cardiothoracic-Specific Problem-Based Learning Discussions with faculty.
6 Months of Adult Cardiac Anesthesia
1 Month Thoracic Anesthesia
1 Month of Cardiothoracic ICU
1 Month Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia
2 Weeks Echocardiography
2+ Months of elective rotations (2 or 4 week blocks)
Adult Cath Lab with Cardiologists
Adult Echo Lab with Cardiologists
Additional Adult Cardiac Anesthesia
Moonlighting may occur within the Department of Anesthesiology and under circumstances that are compliant with the moonlighting policy at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Moonlighting will only be approved after an interview and written permission from the Program Director. Both clinical and educational competence must be verified prior to permission. Each fellow must have a medical license provided by the State of Nebraska and be in good academic standing.
The Application Process:
- Positions available (2021-22 Academic Year): 4
- All applicants that have successfully completed an Anesthesiology residency at an ACGME-accredited program and are interested in Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology are encouraged to apply.
- Please note change: The Centralized Application Service (CAS) is provided through the San Francisco Match. All applicants must register through the San Francisco Subspecialty Match (Registration opens on November 12, 2019, for applications for the 2021-2022 academic year).
- Once you are registered, the CAS application form will be available online to you in your SF Match Account Profile.
- For more information, please review the CAS Instruction Manual.
- Those applicants selected for a formal interview will be invited to visit between January 1 and April 30, 2020.
- The University of Nebraska Department of Anesthesiology participates in the SF Match for placement of cardiothoracic fellow positions and will submit their rank list in compliance with its deadlines.
For more information regarding the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship Program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, please contact:
Tara Brakke MD, FASE
UNMC Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship
1145 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-1145
Mary Bernhagen, Coordinator
UNMC Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship
4455 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4455