The University of Nebraska College of Medicine Pediatric anesthesiology Fellowship in Omaha, Nebraska is an integrated experience between two world-class institutions, UNMC and Children’s Hospital & Medical Center. The Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship offers a broad based clinical experience including but not limited to:
- General Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology
- Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care
- Pediatric Pain Management
Our goal for fellowship is to train and mentor future Pediatric Anesthesiologists to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to provide advanced peri-operative care to children of all ages. This experience includes anesthesia for all pediatric surgical subspecialties, acute and chronic pediatric pain management, and medical/surgical care involving both routine and critically ill pediatric patients. We are committed to providing the highest quality experience and education for each of our fellows.
The fellowship is ACGME accredited and offers two fellowship positions each year. Given our clinical volume, pediatric anesthesia fellows are exposed to a broad base of pediatric anesthesiology experiences and personalized training.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center (CHMC) in Omaha is a 156-bed free-standing, state-of-the-art hospital. From across a five-state region and beyond, more than 250,000 children annually seek the experience and expertise provided. Our Children’s Pediatric Specialty Care Center provides over 45 pediatric specialty clinics including a Maternal Fetal Care Center with a mother/baby surgical delivery suite for high risk newborn deliveries. CHMC’s intensive care units provide the most advanced levels of neonatal and pediatric care available including a highly skilled critical care ground, rotor, and fixed wing transport team, a 29 bed PICU staffed 24/7 with pediatric intensive care physicians, and a 40 bed NICU which offers the only Level 4 NICU care in the region. Our pediatric cardiac program is nationally recognized and provides comprehensive surgical and medical care for children with congenital heart disease including open heart surgery, heart transplantation, and interventional and diagnostic cardiac catheterization. Children’s is also recognized nationally for its Orthopedics care and is an international referral center for children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta. In addition, Children's Hospital & Medical Center has a 10,000 square foot new pediatric ambulatory surgery center with three operating rooms providing high quality surgical care for children needing outpatient surgery.
The anesthesiology department at CHMC has always been an integrated part of patients’ care delivery. More than 14,500 children are anesthetized annually in more than 13 locations throughout the hospital including a busy hybrid cardiac catheterization lab and radiology department. With 12 different pediatric and surgical subspecialty fellowships, our residents and fellows are exposed to all aspects of our patients’ care.
Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellows participate in multiple didactic lecture series and conferences including:
- Weekly Fellow lecture series directed at preparation for Pediatric Anesthesia Boards
- Weekly Problem Based Learning Discussions on complex pediatric anesthesia challenges
- Daily Pediatric keyword discussions including board style questions
- Pediatric Anesthesia Journal Club
- Oral and Written board preparation activities
- Simulation experience
- Monthly Quality Improvement & Patient Safety conferences
- Cardiac care multidisciplinary conferences
- 5 months – General Pediatric Anesthesiology
- 2 months – Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology
- 1 month – Pediatric Intensive Care/Neonatal Intensive Care
- 1 month – Pediatric pain management
- Procedures in Pediatric Anesthesia
- OR management/OR supervision
- Advanced pediatric pain management
- Pediatric Cardiology/Pediatric echocardiography
- Global Health In Pediatric Anesthesia in Gitwe, Rwanda (two week ACGME and ABA approved international rotation)
- Interventional Cardiology
- Advanced Ambulatory
- All applications for UNMC/Children's Hospital & Medical Center Pediatric Anesthesia fellowship will be through ERAS.
- Applications will be accepted December 1st thru May 31st. Letters of recommendation should be addressed to the program director. Applications will be reviewed in late winter/springtime with invitations to those applicants selected for formal interview extended in late spring/summer months.
- For applications after May 31st, please contact the program coordinator directly for common application and application process.
- UNMC/Children’s Hospital & Medical Center currently participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) with 2 fellowship positions available annually.
We appreciate your interest in our program. Feel free to contact us at any time regarding questions about our program.
984455 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4455
Michelle LeRiger, MD
Program Director, Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship
TJ Lockhart, MD
Associate Program Director
Mohanad Shukry, MD, PhD
Division Chief, Pediatric Anesthesiology