Why Choose Us?
Our residency program offers one of the most competitive wages in the nation in a beautiful city with a low cost of living. We provide benefits and perks with intentions to help make residents and their families successful.
2020-2021 House Officer Annual Salary:
HOI (CBY) $58,690
HOII (CA1) $60,863
HOIII (CA2) $63,343
HOIV (CA3) $65,601
Vacation and Leave
Our department extends a generous leave package to our residents because we know it is important to have time away. We fully support the new American Board of Anesthesiology Leave of Absence policy as it complies with our institutional policies.
- Vacation Leave – 20 paid working days per year with a maximum accrual of 30 working days per year
- Sick Leave – One day earned per month in CBY & CA1 years. 180-day bank given after two years of employment. Maternity and adoption leave available. Paternity leave available (one week.)
- Professional Leave – 5 days for Step 3 exam and approved meetings when the resident is presenting
- The ABA only allows 60 days of total absence for vacation or leave of any kind during the Clinical Anesthesia years. Usage of more than 60 days results in residency extension unless approved under the new ABA LOA policy for up to an additional 40 days.
- Health/Dental – Comprehensive group coverage
- Malpractice – Provided for all approved professional and educational activities
- Disability - Low rate automatic eligibility coverage available
- In-house call 3-4 per month. (Post-call day off)
- Private anesthesiology lounge and call rooms
- Meal allowance for call shifts
- Weekdays- meal card issued to House Officers for daily lunch use
- Weekdays- dinner and breakfast for overnight call
- Weekends - breakfast, lunch and dinner for overnight call
- Each resident can attend two meetings during their residency with allowable expenses paid up to the maximum amount for each.
- Midwest Anesthesia Resident's Conference (MARC) - $1,500
- Relevant, approved National meeting of choice - $2,500
- Additional meetings may be approved by program and department leadership
- Didactic materials including use of University iPad or other tablet, textbooks, TrueLearn subscription, etc.
- "Basics of Anesthesia", Sixth Edition by Robert Stoelting and Ronald Miller-online access
- "Clinical Anesthesiology", by Morgan, Mikhail & Murray - online access
- "Miller's Anesthesia", Seventh Edition, by Ronald Miller - online access
- Funding for additional educational materials available through UNMC Graduate Medical Education funds. Ipads provided to new residents.
- Anesthesia Toolbox and TrueLearn subscriptions paid
- Educational development funding
- $300 per year from the GME, plus $200 per resident per year CBY, CA1, CA2; $700 for CA3 year from the department
- Fees paid for:
- BLS/ACLS certification/recertification
- Temporary Educational Permit
- Professional dues: ASA, NSA, IARS
- ABA In-Training Exam
- ABA Basic Examination (first attempt only)
- Lab coats provided with free laundering
- We sponsor H1 and J1 Visas
Other Benefits from Institution, GME and Department
See the GME benefits listed below and more with this video.
- Specialty-specific House Officer lounge in a central location
- House Officer Assistance Program
- On-campus daycare available
- Exercise room when on-call
- Funding for Hepatitis B vaccination, TB skin testing, and other required immunizations
- Metro Health Services Credit Union available to UNMC employees
- Travel money for residents investigating practice locations in Nebraska