The Department of Anesthesia offers a comprehensive, formal education program emphasizing the basic sciences and the clinical practice of anesthesiology. Didactic classroom lectures are presented by faculty and based on assigned readings from current anesthesia textbooks. In addition, the faculty is committed to daily case-related teaching. Numerous research opportunities are available to residents in a variety of areas. Interactive teleconferencing occurs between Nebraska Medicine, the VA Hospital and Children's Hospital.
- All incoming residents are provided with an iPad to use during their training.
- Learnly and TrueLearn subscriptions provided by the department
- Electronic textbooks and references are available through UNMC’s McGoogan Library of Medicine
- All residents will complete IHI on-line modules prior to matriculation at UNMC
- All residents will complete on-line institutional, GME, and program- specific coursework, including CITI training throughout their residency
- All residents will be trained in Crew Resource Management or TeamSTEPPS
- All residents will complete an academic project. Guidance and support is provided by the Resident Research Oversight Committee
- All residents will complete QA/QI/Patient Safety projects.
- 5 UNMC Faculty are ABA Oral Board Examiners
- 2 UNMC Faculty are on the ABA’s OSCE development committee
- Additional faculty are ABA question writers
CBY: The Didactic program of anesthesiology topics presented on Wednesday afternoons by department faculty; research curriculum presented by College of Public Health faculty; quarterly simulation
Bootcamp: First seven weeks of the academic year, a daily review of foundational topics for all CA residents
- Following feedback from our residents, we continue to adapt the didactic part of the curriculum to balance protected education time with clinical learning. In addition, we strive to have a balance of instruction techniques that can benefit any type of learner.
- Residents have dedicated weekly afternoon sessions from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Content will vary between faculty-directed lectures, resident directed learning, mock oral practice, M&M formatted discussions, and board question review.
- Tuesday afternoons will cover Basic Content for the CA-1 level trainee in preparation for the Basic Examination.
- Thursday afternoons will cover Advanced content for CA2/3 trainees.
- Educational content is also available on our Department of Anesthesiology Learning Portal, including educational modules, interactive learning sessions, keyword topics with board questions, journal articles, lecture handouts, and more!
- Wednesday mornings include grand rounds presentations and monthly OSCE and simulation experiences for all levels of training.
Echo: On-line formal echo presentations by our echo faculty
Journal Club: Monthly, evening, casual; held at home of faculty or local restaurant. Residents will present approximately once per year with mentorship from COPH faculty
Case Conference: Resident conference with senior faculty discussing cases from the OR schedule
Quality Assurance Conference
The Departmental Quality Assurance Conference is held once a month for the presentation of complications and interesting cases, allowing for discussion and input within the department. Residents, with faculty guidance, may participate in the case presentations by obtaining journal articles that highlight recent advances in anesthesia and provide more in-depth information pertinent to the presented cases.
Once a month, residents and faculty meet at the home of a faculty member for dinner and discussion of recent journal articles in anesthesia and other related fields. Journal Club promotes discussion and interaction among residents and faculty outside of the operating room.
Nationally recognized consultants in anesthesiology visit our department on a regular basis. As experts in fields such as obstetrics and pain management, these physicians offer informative lectures on current topics in anesthesia.
View the 2019-2020 Residency Program Handbook
View the Residency Life in Omaha Slideshow