The UNMC Summer Physical Therapy Education for Chinese Students (SPECS) Program is a three-week summer program. It is designed for Chinese physical therapy and rehabilitation students who are interested in developing a global perspective on rehabilitation, to learn physical therapy education, research, and practice in the United States. Click here for application information.
The SPECS program will include lectures, clinical observation, research experiences, and cultural activities.
Lectures: faculty from the UNMC physical therapy education program will lead 2-3 hours of lecture that includes the following topics:
- Introduction to the US physical therapy education
- Major topics in Physical Therapy including Neurology, Orthopedics, Cardiopulmonary, Pediatrics, and cancer Rehabilitation
- Leadership and professionalism
Research experience: faculty from the UNMC physical therapy education program will take students to different research labs at UNMC and introduce current cutting-edge research programs. These research labs include:
Clinical observation: the SPECS program will arrange for students to visit different physical therapy and rehabilitation practice settings in Nebraska. Some examples include:
- Nebraska Medicine
- Madonna rehabilitation hospital
- Fyzical Therapy & Balance Centers
- Hillcrest health Services
- Quality Living Inc.
Cultural activities: the SPECS program will arrange different local activities to help students to better understand US culture. For example:
- Durham museum tour
- Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium tour
- Nebraska State Capitol tour
- Jazz on the Green concert
If you have questions, please contact the SPECS Program Director, Dr. Joseph Siu (firstname.lastname@example.org)