Admission FAQ’s

Q: Can I begin enrollment for the spring semester?
A: No. Applications are only accepted for admission starting in the summer session or fall semester.

Q: Will the application fee be waived?
A: No.

Q: Will you accept computer-based Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from China (including Hong Kong), Taiwan and Korea?
A: No. Computer-based GRE scores prior to July 2003 will not be accepted.

Q: How soon after I graduate college in May can I start graduate school?
A: Your initial enrollment can begin as early as July 1, which is the first day of UNMC's academic year. New students may arrange to begin doing research rotations during the summer. This can speed up your decision about who will be your adviser, plus having one or two rotations completed before the first semester begins can make it easier to deal with fall coursework. Whether a particular student is able to start on July 1 depends on availability of assistantship funding, but this is not a problem in most cases.

Q: Is it possible to start graduate studies in January or for the spring semester?
A: Only under extraordinary circumstances. This is possible only if assistantship funding can be arranged under special circumstances. Ordinarily, departmental funds would not be available at that time of year, but support can sometimes be provided through grants of the individual laboratories to which you are assigned. Unfortunately, because of the sequential nature of the BRTP first-year courses, a student starting in January would only be able to enroll for Bioc 896 (Research Other than Thesis) and Bioc 970 (Seminar/Journal Club). First-year courses would then be available starting the following fall semester.

Q: Who will be there to help me when I arrive at UNMC?
A: The coordinators of the BMB Graduate Program are Dr. Paul Sorgen, who is chairman of the BMB Graduate Committee, Ms. Amy Dodson, departmental administrator, and Ms. Karen Hankins, department office associate. Dr. Sorgen will assist you with setting up your rotations and explaining the courses of study; Ms. Dodson and Ms. Hankins will assist with filling out forms and will direct you through the enrollment process and registration for classes. They will also help you with questions about student health and insurance, fees and housing. The UNMC Graduate Student Association and Office of Graduate Studies sponsor new graduate student orientation during the week before classes begin.

Contact Information:

Graduate Committee Chairman
Paul Sorgen, Ph.D.
7013 Durham Research Center I (DRC I), zip 5870

Amy Dodson, MBA
7005C DRC I, zip 5870
FAX 402-559-6650

Karen Hankins
7005A DRC I, zip 5870
FAX 402-559-6650

Q: How are the special needs of international students taken care of?
A: Ms. Dodson coordinates the activities of newly arrived international students. She will assign another BMB student as a guide to assist with pick-up at the airport, lodging and initial orientation to the UNMC campus and Omaha area. The guides will also walk new students around the UNMC campus to file forms, turn in documents, purchase supplies and books, etc. One of the most important and immediate needs is to apply for a Social Security number. Questions pertaining to visa status or USCIS paperwork should be addressed to Dan Teet, International Student Specialist, in the  International Studies Office.

Contact Information:

Vanessa Wilcox, Graduate Studies Associate
UNMC Graduate Studies
987810 Nebraska Medical Center
ARS 2004B
Omaha, NE 68198-7810