The BMI Program uses a portfolio approach in their decision to accept applicants.
- Meet the admission requirements outlined on the UNMC Graduate Studies website, including submitting all required forms.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree with undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4 point scale.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE). As a general rule, this requirement will only be waived if some acceptable quantitative measure of ability to do graduate work has been filed through the waiver process. The institutional code is 6896. Please email the BMI program coordinator for waiver request form.
- Clinical training and experience (medicine, nursing, dentistry, or allied health degree) -OR-Advanced training in Computer Science or Management Information Systems (MIS) (Baccalaureate major, MS or PhD) with interest and/or experience in the clinical sciences or health care delivery environment.
- Admission to the BMI program is contingent upon the identification of an accepting mentor with funding to support the student. Applicants should attempt to identify a mentor during the application process. If a mentor is not identified, the BMI admissions committee will review the application to determine potential mentors with the background and research expertise to meet the needs of the student's research interests. The mentor needs to agree to serve as the student's advisory/supervisory committee chair and provide confirmation of funding prior to an offer of admission. The BMI program cannot offer admission without support from a mentor's lab.
- International Applicants: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination for English proficiency is required of all students from foreign language countries. Applicants must meet the minimum test score of 550 (paper-based exam), 213 (computer-based exam) or 80 (Internet-based exam) established as a Graduate College requirement. The institutional code is 6896.
- International Applicants: You are required to have all international transcripts verified before we can review your application. Please see Graduate Studies Requirements and how to obtain. It is imperative you start this process early as it can take months to complete.
Prior Course Work:
Incoming students are expected to have prior coursework or work experience equivalent to at least an undergraduate degree in one or morIf a e of the following fields:
- Mathematics (Calculus, Trigonometry, and/or Discrete Math)
- Computer Science or Management Information Systems
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- Health professions training