Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant
Seed Grant Program
2020 Request for Applications
The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center (FPBCC) is soliciting applications for American Cancer Society-supported one-year seed grants of up to $50,000. The American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant (ACS IRG) is a block grant that allows the FPBCC to give smaller awards to beginning independent investigators who have no current national peer-reviewed research grant support. This seed grant program is intended to support junior faculty in initiating cancer research projects so they can generate preliminary results that will enable them to compete successfully for national funding in all areas of cancer research.
- University of Nebraska investigators at the rank of assistant professor or equivalent who are eligible to apply as principal investigator for grant support from national agencies (e.g., NIH, NSF, ACS), but who do not currently hold such an award. (Exceptions may be made for those with personnel awards primarily intended to support a junior investigator’s salary, such as the NIH K series. However, current recipients of K99/R00 grants are not eligible for this exception.)
- The investigator must be within six years of their first independent faculty appointment and have a commitment from their institution for salary and space.
- Awards to postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, and senior faculty are not allowed.
- Previous recipients of FPBCC ACS IRG seed grants are ineligible to apply.
- If not a United States citizen, noncitizen national, or permanent resident, an applicant must hold a visa that will allow her/him to remain in the U.S. throughout the grant period and long enough to fulfill all obligations of the award.
- Those selected for funding must present their projects to the scientific community and potential donors as requested by the FPBCC and ACS. One written project progress report and one written final report are also required.
Application Deadline: Proposals are due on Friday, April 17, 2020, by 11:59 pm CT. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Information: For complete proposal guidelines and formatting instructions, see the program Request for Applications here:
FPBCC ACS IRG Seed Grant Program Application Template: An application template with fillable forms is available here:
Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center Bridge Funding Program
This bridge funding mechanism is intended to provide interim support for Buffett Cancer Center Members with investigator-initiated, cancer-focused applications that were recently submitted to federal funding agencies and narrowly missed agency pay lines. The purpose of this program is to support the efforts necessary to produce additional data for promising cancer research projects, in order to strengthen related proposal resubmissions. To be considered for bridge funding, the existing application must have strong cancer relevance; basic, clinical, and population research projects are acceptable. The applicant must have received a peer review summary statement indicating high scientific merit. Applications for bridge funding for proposals that were not scored will not be accepted. Bridge funds of up to $25,000 may be requested from the Cancer Center; an accompanying commitment by the applicant’s home department and/or college to provide matching funds is required. Full details about this funding opportunity are available at the FOA link below.