If you have bookmarked our EMS and Trauma web pages -- and we hope you have -- you'll need to bookmark us again. We have updated our website.
BLS is a nationally recognized program designed by the American Heart Association (AHA) for health care professionals to:
- Recognize different life-threatening emergencies;
- Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR);
- Use an automated external defibrillator (AED); and
- Relieve choking in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
This course is intended for certified and non-certified, licensed or nonlicensed health care professionals such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, emergency medical technicians, respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, physician’s assistants, residents or fellows, medical or nursing students in training, aides, medical or nursing assistants, police officers, and other allied health personnel.
The material will be covered in small group lectures, demonstrations, evaluation of case-based scenarios, and practice.
AHA BLS Provider Manual
UNMC CCE COVID Response
We offer limited in-person classes. Following UNMC guidelines, all students, instructors, and staff are asked to:
Self-screen prior to coming in, ideally using the 1-Check COVID mobile app that can evaluate risk and give advice as to what to do based on risk
Socially distance and wear a face covering (cloth or surgical) while on campus. Students are required to bring own face covering in order to be admitted to class
Ensure strict, effective and frequent hand hygiene
Course Registration Fee: $85
Manual Rental: $5
Manual Purchase: $15
Early Registration Special
Register 14 days prior to the course and receive $15 off your registration fee.
If you register online, you will receive an email confirmation immediately after completing your registration. If you register via telephone, fax, or mail, you will receive your confirmation once payment has been processed.
If you do not receive your registration confirmation, please call 402-559-5929 or email email@example.com.
- All cancellation and transfer requests must be made in writing and sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is a $15 processing fee for all cancel/transfer requests made 15 days or more prior to the class start date.
- If you cancel/transfer 14 days or less prior to the class start date, we will refund 50% of your registration fee in the same form of payment the registration was received. If you rented a course manual, we will process your refund if the manual is returned within 14 days of receipt of cancellation. After 14 days, no refund will be issued.
- If you cancel/transfer less than 24 hours of your scheduled class, no refund will be issued.
Prior to the Course
You are expected to review the AHA BLS Provider Manual.
- If you are renting or purchasing the manual, please come and pick it up from the EMS/Trauma Office located in the UNMC Annex 14 Building on 4460 Farnam Street, Omaha, NE (brown building next to Bank of the West). Take the elevator to 2R. Pick up available Monday through Friday from 8am to 2pm. If you live and work outside of the Omaha Metro, please email email@example.com to make arrangements to get your manual. Or, if you prefer, you can purchase an e-manual from https://shopcpr.heart.org/
- IMPORTANT: You may rent or purchase the manual PRIOR to the day of the course. No manual rental will be allowed on the day of the course. Participants who come to the course without the manual will be required to purchase one.
You must show a valid government- or school-issued photo ID to check-in to class.
The temperature in the classroom may vary throughout the day. Please come in loose and comfortable layers of clothing.
You will be practicing skills that will require you to work on your hands and knees. You will be bending, standing, and lifting throughout the course. If you have any physical condition that will prevent you from engaging in these activities, please do not hesitate to inform the instructor(s) as he/she may be able to adjust the equipment to address your needs.
Inclement Weather: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for possible class cancellation due to the weather.
- Map and parking
Contact Debbie Von Seggern-Johnson, NRP, EMSI, Emergency Medical Services Coordinator, via email.