The University of Nebraska Medical Center is involved in a global clinical research trial to evaluate a possible treatment option for non-hospitalized adults with COVID-19.
The medical center is recruiting eligible individuals to assess the safety and efficacy of an oral antiviral drug, Molnupiravir, for the treatment of COVID-19. Molnupiravir aims to block the replication of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 to determine if the drug can help reduce COVID-19 symptoms, recovery time, hospitalizations, and death caused by COVID-19.
Diana Florescu, MD, a professor and infectious diseases specialist in the UNMC Department of Internal Medicine, is leading the clinical trial at UNMC.
“This clinical trial is at the heart of new developments for treatment of COVID-19. We are very happy that UNMC/Nebraska Medicine was chosen as a site for this important work.”
Diana Florescu, MD
Eligible study participants will be randomly assigned either to the investigational treatment group or the placebo group. There is no cost for the trial drug or the trial-related medical tests and exams.
The study is seeking people who:
- Are at least 19 years of age;
- Have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 5 days;
- Have had signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for less than 5 days and currently have at least one sign or symptom of COVID-19;
- Have not been hospitalized due to COVID-19; and
- Are at an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
If you are interested in enrolling, click the ‘Register Now’ button at the top of the page. IRB# 704-20