The Institutional Development Awards Program (IDeA) States Pediatric Network was established by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2016 as part of the Environmental influences on Child Health Outcomes (ECHO) program. The mission of the IDeA States Pediatric Network is:
- To provide medically underserved and rural populations with access to state-of-the-art clinical trials
- To build pediatric research capacity at a national level
- Support professional development of faculty-level pediatricians to conduct clinical trials
- Support infrastructure and teams in the conduct of clinical trials research
Thanks to the outreach offered by the pediatricians and pediatric specialists at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and the affiliated Children’s Hospital & Medical Center (Children's), the Nebraska Pediatric Clinical Trials Unit (NPCTU) is well suited to filling this gap in pediatric clinical trials by linking our well-established research infrastructure with our extensive clinical expertise and diverse patient population to create a central home for pediatric clinical research in Nebraska.
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is the only full-service pediatric health care center in Nebraska, providing resources to children from across a five-state region and beyond. It is affiliated with UNMC, which is home to many clinical and research resources, such as the Monroe-Meyer Institute, the Center for Clinical Trials Research, the Center for Reducing Health Disparities and an active office of community engagement.
In keeping with the goals of the IDeA States Pediatric Network, the mission of the NPCTU is two-fold:
1) To establish the NPCTU as the home for pediatric clinical trials in our region. This program will support the professional development of the associated faculty, residents and personnel conducting clinical research at UNMC and Children's, while building on our existing program to conduct clinical trials research for children with a variety of conditions.
2) To provide the underserved and rural populations of Nebraska and surrounding states access to state-of-the-art clinical trials. Our clinical outreach network has access to a wide variety of underserved populations who would benefit from inclusion in cutting-edge clinical research and would enhance the quality and applicability of data generated for pediatric research as a whole.