The Pediatric Research Office now has a Database Manager available to support pediatric researchers with the development of research databases and survey tools, including REDCap.
Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases. The UNMC Research REDCap is HIPAA-compliant and can be used to collect scientific research (including PHI data) and general survey data. It is specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations. However, the UNMC research REDCap is not suitable for patient care-related activities.
Prior to requesting PRO support:
- Please review the UNMC REDCap usage & fee policy. The first year is free for new researchers, but there is an annual fee for all projects beyond that. There may be additional fees based on data consumption, multi-year contracts, or additional services.
- If your project will require data collection and storage beyond this free period, you must provide a cost center that can be used to pay for the maintenance of the database.
To request PRO support:
- Please complete the PRO Database Request Form, including your IRB approval number and all data collection tools required for your study.
- Note: Please submit the PRO Database Request Form as early as possible to ensure adequate time for development and testing.
- If you have any questions about your request, please contact the PRO Database Manager, Nick Reynolds.
UNMC Support and More Information
The UNMC Research IT Office (RITO) supports researchers' data collection, management, and analysis efforts. They have adopted the REDCap software platform from Vanderbilt, which is rapidly becoming a worldwide leader in survey technology for gathering data for scientific research, due to its ease of use and low cost. This system is used by an active consortium of over 3690 institutions in 131 countries with over 1 million users and 769,000 projects.
All UNMC personnel have access to our campus REDCap server via their standard UNMC username and password credentials for the UNMC_DOMAIN. This server is accessible from the external network, so researchers can design their surveys and provide interested participants a link to complete the survey that will work from any Internet-connected device, including mobile devices. Once a study has been completed, the system can provide a data file that is easily imported into statistical programs (such as R, SAS, SPSS, R) or spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel. Feel free to complete an example survey that illustrates many REDCap features, and login to the campus server to start designing your own data collection tools.
For additional questions or consultations, please complete an online RITO Request.