The NCBR provides:
- Archived human specimens upon request.
- Infrastructure for streamlined consenting, specimen collection and archiving to enable collection of new specimens in a way that makes the process seamless for investigators.
- On-demand biobanking of patient specimens that enable investigation of personalized approaches for cardiovascular disease.
The NCBR supports two models of biobanking:
Approach 1: Investigator Initiated
Typically used for:
- Clinical trials
- Basic & translational research when specimens are plentiful
Approach 2: Prospective Collect
- Basic & translational research when specimens are limited – what you have access to defines the questions you can ask - and takes a long time to build up a critical mass of samples.