Our Heritage of Excellence

The Beginning

The University of Nebraska College of Medicine came into being on April 18, 1902, when the Board of 1886Regents of the University of Nebraska and the Omaha Medical College signed an agreement to jointly offer a four-year curriculum leading to an MD degree.  Students were to take two years of instruction on the University campus in Lincoln, and two years of medical education in Omaha.

The Omaha Medical College admitted its first medical students in September of 1881.  Classrooms and laboratories were located on the third floor of a building at 13th and Pacific streets.  Fourteen students were in the first class, each paying tuition of $30.  Over the next 20 years, the Omaha Medical College moved to sites at 11th and Mason streets, next to St. Joseph Hospital, and 12th and Pacific streets, where it remained until 1913.  A more suitable three-story brick building was constructed on the site in 1893 for a cost of $20,000.  The original capstones from the entrance to that building are currently set above a stained glass window commemorating the College of Medicine. 

And now

Currently, approximately 130 students are admitted into the program each year, with courses beginning Sorrell Centerin August. That is the start of Phase I for the students. The College of Medicine introduced a new curriculum in 2017 in which there are three phases for the students. More information can be found under Curriculum.

The primary location for year one and two courses is the Michael F. Sorrell Center for Health Science Education building. Named after the physician, Dr. Michael Sorrell, the Sorrell Center was built in 2009 and has state-of-art technology in the lecture halls, classrooms and simulation center.

Also new on campus is the Dr. Edwin Davis & Dorothy Balbach Davis Global Center for Advanced Global CenterInterprofessional Learning.  The Global Center is an interprofessional clinical simulation facility with 191,884 square feet and is situated near the Sorrell Center, the Lauritzen Outpatient Center, and Nebraska Medicine hospitals and clinics. Walkways connect all of these buildings, which makes it easy to get from one place to another and not have to brave the cold Nebraska winters. Want to know more? Please see the highlights detailed here. UNMC College of Medicine students will have opportunities to utilize the Global Center in health care settings in which teams can practice and experiment safely.