Due to the Global Pandemic, UNMC is following the guidelines and recommendations set forth by the Coalition for Physician Accountability. Requirements for on-campus instruction will be relayed to accepted students prior to the rotation start date. Our catalog for the 2022-2023 Academic Year will be viewable starting March 1. We will begin accepting applications via VSLO starting April 1, 2022. Please follow the instructions and guidelines for completing an application and the maximum request limits below.
We invite and encourage you to explore our residency programs by visiting-- https://www.unmc.edu/com/about/gme/index.html
We wish you a healthy and fulfilling year.
In the fourth year of medical school, students can choose to complete an elective at another U.S. medical school. Students may want to experience a particular specialty at another institution or check out the area for a potential residency spot
Requests for an elective time at the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine/Nebraska Medicine from students attending U.S. medical schools or osteopathic schools are done through VSLO (Visiting Student Learning Opportunities). There is a maximum of 1 (one) rotation per applicant. Please limit requests to no more than 3 (three) options for review (an option consists of ANY request). If those options are denied you may then submit more options (3) for consideration.
Do not contact any faculty or clinical department prior to your acceptance for a rotation. Doing so is considered a professionalism breach and may disqualify you from doing rotations at UNMC. Applications will be reviewed by merit beginning April 1, 2022 with decisions BEGINNING May 1, 2022. UNMC offers rotations each month of the academic year July - June.
Applicants will be expected to adhere to the date schedule as prescribe by UNMC and be able to attend all 4 weeks of any given rotation.
Only complete applications will be reviewed for consideration. An opportunity to correct an application may be offered. A complete application consists of the following:
- Currently in the 4th/Final year of the M.D. /D.O program
- Verification page on VSLO completed by the Home School
- Student is in Good Standing (listed on Verification page)
- Current OSHA training (listed on Verification page)
- Current BLS (listed on Verification page)
- Mask Fit test completed
- Medical Liability in the amounts of $3M Aggregate and $1M Per Instance (listed on Verification page)
- Completion of the following six Core Clerkships before the start of any requested elective (listed on Verification page)
- Current HIPAA training (listed on Verification page)
- Passed USMLE Step 1/COMLEX (listed on Verification page)
- Immunizations uploaded
- Verification of COVID full vaccination as defined by the CDC
- State and Federal Background check uploaded
- CV uploaded
- Photograph uploaded
- Transcript uploaded
- Any additional documentation required by any given department/course
The University of Nebraska College of Medicine does not accept applications for electives from students attending foreign medical schools and non-LCME accredited MD institutions or non-COCA accredited DO institutions. For information regarding global opportunities please reach out to UNMC Office of Global Engagement: email@example.com .