UNMC encourages the suggestion of new preceptors for clinical rotations for Phase 2 from students and faculty. The process below details the steps needed for a physician to become a preceptor for REQUIRED clinical rotations. Please note that this process is separate from precepting activities such as Phase 3 electives or Longitudinal Clinical Experiences (LCE) as clerkship rotations are required graded curriculum. This process will take a minimum of 3 months to complete.
- Student/faculty suggest potential new preceptor to the appropriate required clerkship. Please notify both the Clerkship Director(s) and the Clerkship Coordinator(s).
- The Clerkship Director(s) will contact the potential new preceptor to review the following:
- Clinical site volume and content
- Frequency of student rotation at the site
- Clerkship goals, objectives and curriculum
- Clinical space and student accommodations if applicable
- Evaluation responsibilities, training and timelines
- If the preceptor/clinical site are approved by the Clerkship Director(s) then the preceptor will complete the following documentation provided by the Clerkship Coordinator(s).
- Volunteer faculty appointment
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- If the clinical site has more than one preceptor then only one preceptor will be designated to complete the volunteer faculty appointment/MOU and will be responsible for future preceptor training and all grade review and submission.
- Student who wish to rotate with a preceptor they have suggested for a clinical experience on a required clerkship may be able to do so if the following requirements are met.
- No conflict of interest. See https://www.unmc.edu/com/education/com-student-policies/com-policies/conflict-of-interest.html for full details.
- The clinical rotation is approved and set up as detailed above. Students cannot arrange their own clinical experiences during Phase 2.
- Clinical rotations are assigned to students per the student assignment process. Students should not expect to be assigned to a preceptor or clinical site they have suggested to a clerkship.
Approved by Phase 2 Directors: 5/11/21