All medical students must have a mobile device (laptop or tablet). The College of Medicine does not make recommendations for specific devices; instead, we encourage you to choose an internet-ready mobile device that suits your needs.
There are specifics concerning exams and network access on campus.
- Phase 1: Examsoft is used for exams. Meeting the requirements listed below ensures that your device is compatible with examination software.
- Phase 2: NBME shelf exams are taken during your clinical clerkships (3rd year)\
- iPads are NOT compatible with the NMBE software at this time.
UNMC specifics regarding operating systems.
- Device standards: https://info.unmc.edu/it/services/network/personal-device-os-standards-for-org-wireless-network-connectivity.html
- Eduroam is the primary wi-fi service on campus. Follow instructions on getting this set up on your device. https://info.unmc.edu/it/services/network/eduroam.html
Devices are used for:
- retrieving and viewing lecture notes or presentation slides;
- exams and quizzes;
- digital note-taking;
- viewing videos;
- completing e-Learning modules;
- and internet-based activities (research, email, web conferencing, Canvas).
The device you already own will likely meet these requirements, but please review.
- If it does not, you will need to purchase a new device or upgrade your current device. The Office of Financial Aid will adjust your cost of attendance up to $2500 to purchase a device, software, and peripheral devices. For more information:
If you have any questions or concerns about the device requirements, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org