Process for Creating or Revising E-Learning Modules for UNMC College of Medicine
Please see the UNMC E-Learning Lab’s Quick Start Guide
Contact: Office of Medical Education
- Initial: Contact OME to discuss possible e-module.
- Goal of educational project
- Measurable educational objectives
- Intended audience
- Projected timeline
- OME offers instructional design support for the creation or revision of e-learning modules. This includes:
- Instructional design – you provide the content and will help to organize this for an optimal learning experience for the students. This will include interactivity in the e-module, could also include gaming components and UNMC branding will always be incorporated.
- Graphic design – for the e-module. Or create graphics to explain something.
- Videotaping - if there is a process that would best be explained with video, we’ll set up a time to capture video. OME staff will edit video and add graphics to video where needed. Video can include audio.
- Audio – if audio is needed on any slides to explain a process, the subject matter expert would need to record this using the audio booth at the E-Learning Lab as appropriate, and then OME staff will edit the audio and put it with the slide.
- Multimedia - OME staff will work with the iEXCEL virtual reality team/simulation lab if animations or medical illustrations are needed.
- Tracking Completion and Data Retrieval – If you want to track completion of an e-module and/or if data such as quiz answers are needed: The e-module will be posted as a link in Canvas and any quiz/survey questions will be put into Canvas. OME staff will export data and send to faculty after the e-module submission deadline.
- Using Articulate 360 software, design the e-module.
Time needed: At least 45 days, more if possible.
- Faculty contacts OME about the need for an e-module (at least 45 days out) and set up a meeting to discuss and formalize a plan.
- Faculty creates storyboard in PowerPoint. Files can be shared via OneDrive.
- If multimedia – video, audio, animation – is needed, make a plan to capture these.
- Meanwhile, OME staff creates template in software. When storyboard/PPT is shared with OME staff, they will create the e-module. Edit any multimedia.
- Draft is sent to faculty via Articulate 360 to review online. Comments for revisions will be made through this online portal.
- OME staff will make the revisions and send to faculty for final approval.
- E-module is packaged into a link and posted on Canvas for students to access.
- Any quiz/survey questions are created in Canvas.
- Data – if tracking or quiz/survey questions are needed, OME staff will create those in Canvas. Both the e-module and the questions will be packaged together in Canvas.