UNMC Biopsy Services will be closed for the holiday season from Friday, Dec. 22, 2023 to Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024.
Please be aware that biopsies received after Monday, Dec. 18, 2023 may not be processed until the first week of January 2024 and the filing of patient insurance will reflect that.
Best wishes for a safe, healthy & festive New Year!
Nagamani Narayana, DMD, MS
Peter J. Giannini, DDS, MS
Sandi Marlow-Lambert, Biopsy Services Desk, 402.472.1296
Featured Patient Cases
CASE #24 - Dr. Nagamani Narayana, Contributor: Dr. Billy Laun II
This 41-year-old male presents with a cream-filled lesion distal to tooth #17 measuring 1 x 2 cm, well-defined unilocular radiolucency. Take the quiz.
Patient Case Archive
Case #1 Case #2 Case #3 Case #4 Case #5 Case #6 Case #7 Case #8 Case #9 Case #10
Case #11 Case #12 Case #13 Case #14 Case #15 Case #16 Case #17 Case #18 Case #19
Case #20 Case #21 Case #22 Case #23
About the UNMC Oral Pathology Biopsy Service
The UNMC Oral Pathology Biopsy Service is a licensed diagnostic oral tissue biopsy service that is available as a referral service for dentists. The service is is affiliated with University Dental Associates, the UNMC College of Dentistry's faculty practice.
For information and questions, contact the UNMC College of Dentistry Oral Pathology Department:
Our laboratory is a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certified regional diagnostic laboratory. It is completely equipped and computerized to process tissue specimens from the head and neck region. In addition to routine histochemical procedures, the laboratory has access to immunohistochemical and immunofluorescence techniques for diagnostically challenging cases.
- A diagnosis is rendered to the clinician within 24 hours of receipt for most specimens, with the exception of weekends, holidays or the requirement for additional testing and/or consultation.
- A detailed descriptive report is sent with every specimen. All specimen reports are mailed and faxed if a contact number is provided.
- Clinicians will be notified immediately after the diagnosis has been rendered for any case having a malignant or unusual diagnosis.
- The biopsy service provides UPS service free of charge to all out-of-state contributors. UPS can be called for a pick-up and we will receive the specimen at 10 a.m. the next morning.
- Biopsy kits are available free of charge to the clinician. Each kit contains a requisition sheet, formalin-filled container (MSDS for formalin), proper packaging, and includes pre-paid first-class postage.
- We bill the patient directly. Please include your patient’s medical and dental insurance information so that we can submit the claim to the insurance company on your patient’s behalf.
For further information or to order biopsy kits:
Call 1-800-332-0265 (ask for Dent Help and then ext. 1296) -OR-
Call us directly at 402-472-1296 or email email@example.com
About Our Clinical Oral Pathology/Oral Medicine Clinic
The Clinical Oral Pathology/Oral Medicine Clinic is staffed by board certified oral pathologists with specialty training in soft tissue lesions of the head and neck. It is a center for the treatment of patients with diagnostic problems involving the head and neck area. The clinic is part of University Dental Associates, the UNMC College of Dentistry's faculty practice.
Some of the conditions referred for treatment and diagnosis include, but are not limited to: ulcerative and vesiculobullous diseases such as lichen planus, mucous membrane pemphigoid, systemic lupus and pemphigus of the oral region, infections, xerostomia, candidiasis, burning mouth, complications of cancer therapy, bony pathology of the jaws, and oral manifestations of systemic disease.
Our clinicians are prepared to diagnose as well as treat these conditions. We enjoy seeing patients with unusual or diagnostically challenging oral or head and neck lesions/conditions and providing this vital service to oral health care providers.
Patients are usually returned to the referring doctor for follow-up.
To schedule an appointment:
Contact University Dental Associates at 402-472-8900