Kids are not just small adults, and that is why it is important they have a dental visit tailored just for them—one that is not scary, is as pain free as possible, and establishes a life-long positive relationship with dental care.
The dental experts in our clinic spend all of their time working with children and young adults, providing the most positive experience possible for our patients. Our pediatric dentistry residency program trains the pediatric dentists of the future and serves over 3,000 infants, children and adolescents each year. The clinic is located at Children’s Hospital and Medical Center and accepts Nebraska and Iowa Medicaid, most insurance plans, and fee-for-service patients.
Dental care should be part of a child’s daily routine, along with twice-a-year regular checkups at the dentist; but it can also be a more serious concern. For more serious dental care, including sedation, anesthesia and surgery, you are in good hands with experts trained in how anesthesia, medications, and surgery can affect pediatric patients. The Department of Pediatric Dentistry also provides services under general anesthesia in the operating room at both Children’s Hospital and the University of Nebraska Medical Center for patients with more complex dental needs. The dentists at the pediatric dental clinic provide comprehensive oral health care evaluations and referrals for complex dental and craniofacial conditions.
The faculty and residents of the clinic perform over 450 surgical cases a year, often in conjunction with other surgical services in order to better coordinate care and minimize costs to families. Recognized as experts in pediatric dentistry, the dental clinic focuses on providing an all-inclusive approach to the care of both healthy and medically compromised children.
Make an Appointment
We are open Monday through Friday and appointments can be made from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. by calling 402-559-6100. You will be asked basic demographic information when making your appointment. On the day of your child’s first appointment, please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled time, as there is paperwork that needs to be completed before your child can be seen.
We offer bilingual services for Spanish-speaking patients.
Location of the Dental Clinic
The dental clinic is located on the second floor of the Specialty Pediatric Center at Children’s Hospital and Medical Center, 8200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE 68114. If your child’s care is scheduled in the operating room at either UNMC or Children’s Hospital under general anesthesia, you will be given separate instructions and directions prior to your appointment.
Services Provided by the Dental Clinic:
- Infant oral health exams
- Oral health consultations
- Preventive services such as sealants, fluoride varnish applications, and oral hygiene instruction
- Comprehensive oral health care for children with:
- Early childhood caries (cavities)
- Caries and periodontal needs
- Specific health care needs
- Significant underlying medical histories
- Orofacial injuries
- Early intervention to address dental growth and developmental problems
- Sedation for mildly anxious and fearful children
- Comprehensive oral rehabilitation under general anesthesia (two locations)
- Contemporary restorative care options
- Treatment for patients with cleft lip and palate and other craniofacial anomalies
- Treatment for oral habits that negatively affect proper growth and alignment of teeth
- Consultation with other medical specialties at UNMC and Children’s Hospital and Medical Center
The dental clinic at Children’s Hospital is open for urgent care appointments during regular clinic hours, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Trained staff are available to consult and determine the level of urgency taking the most severe or significant first. Only toothaches with swelling and/or bleeding, as well as physical trauma to the teeth and/or face, are considered dental emergencies. Any other condition or situation (e.g. minor toothache, broken or lost fillings) is not considered an emergency and requires a regularly scheduled appointment.
After-hours emergency services are provided seven days a week, 365 days a year, through the emergency rooms at both UNMC and Children’s Hospital and Medical Center, Omaha.
- Jillian Wallen, B.D.S.
- Zachary Houser, D.M.D.
- Frank Driscoll, D.D.S.
- Bryan Skar, D.D.S.
- Eric Hodges, D.D.S.
- Brent Johnson, D.D.S.
- Lourdes Secola, D.D.S.
- Lisa Strunk, Orthodontics D.D.S.
- S. Prem Premaraj, Orthodontics B.D.S.
- T. Sheela Premaraj, Orthodontics B.D.S.
- Trey Anderson, D.D.S.
- Bryce Bott, D.M.D.
- Whitney Walker Linville, D.D.S.
- Jennifer Peterman, D.D.S.
- Allison Williams, D.D.S. (Chief Resident)
- Christopher Johnson, D.D.S.
- Tyler Johnson, D.D.S.
- Claire Koukol, D.D.S.
- Katelyn Olenich, D.D.S.
- Eric Phan, D.D.S.