Diversity is all of the ways that people are both similar and different. It involves various factors that we control as well as those over which we have no choice and includes but is not limited to age, race/ethnicity, gender, income, marital status, religious beliefs, and sexual orientation.
Diversity in the workplace is important for the following reasons:
- Increased Productivity - brings diverse talents together working towards a common goal using different sets of skills that ignites loyalty and increases retention and productivity
- Increased Creativity and Problem solving - With so many different and diverse minds coming together many more solutions will arise as every individual brings in their way of thinking, operating and solving problems and decision making
- Attract and Retain talent - add a competitive edge to any organization. Feeling included and appreciated increases loyalty and feeling of belonging
- Help to build synergy in teams - enhances communication skills that brings in new attitudes and processes that profit the whole team
- Enhances communication skills - Language skills pool is increased and propels organization forward either to compete in the International global world or to increase its diverse customer base
- Increases market share and creates a satisfied diverse customer base - by relating to people from different backgrounds.
- Cultural Competence is the ability of understand, appreciate, communicate with and effectively interact with person from cultures and/or beliefs systems other than one’s own.
UNMC Goals to create a culturally competent organization:
- Weave Cultural Competency into the fabric of UNMC
- Promote standards of excellence
- Create and maintain a climate that is conducive to the success of all employees
- Create an inclusive environment
- Become the employer of choice and a place where all people feel good about being here