Your medical records are kept in strict confidence. Only with your written release can your records be copied and sent to a third party. Contact your health care provider if you would like to review or discuss your records.
YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS A PATIENT
Student Health staff strongly believe that each person is entitled to certain rights as a patient. Additionally, each patient has certain responsibilities. Together, these ensure that each individual receives the appropriate medical care and personal services he/she deserves. The following Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities was established.
Each patient has the right to:
- Access to care and treatment regardless of race, creed, sex, national origin or religion.
- Consideration and respect for personal dignity and privacy.
- Expect that the diagnosis, prognosis and methods of treatment be explained clearly and in terms you can understand, including the risks and possible side effects.
- Be informed about the Health Center regulations, policies and rules governing the conduct as a patient.
- Know what alternatives exist for your care and treatment.
- Know if your treatment involves experimental, educational or research methods, and maintain the right to refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law.
Each patient has the responsibility to:
- Provide, to the best of his/her knowledge, accurate information relating to health matters.
- Follow the treatment plan recommended by his/her primary health care provider.
- Accept personal responsibility if he/she refuses treatment.
- Know and abide by Student Health rules, regulations and policies.
- Respect the rights of other patients, hospital personnel and others he/she may come in contact with.