VA/Military Education Benefits

Below you will find general information of the chapters, other military education benefits and how to apply. Do not apply for an education benefit until you know eligibility. You can apply by contacting the VA Education Hotline at 1-888-442-4551.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty

This benefit is available for active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.

How to apply and certify enrollment:

For Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®- Active duty benefit information please visit: Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® 

Benefits are typically paid for 36 enrolled months of training. If all 36 months of eligibility have been used under Chapter 30, a veteran with three years of active duty service before Aug. 2011 may switch over to Chapter 33 and use an additional 12 months of entitlement.

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) provides up to 36 months of benefits for service members that have served at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 11, 2001. In addition, this benefit can be used by the dependents of an eligible veteran, provided the service member has transferred the benefit to the dependent.

How to apply:

Apply for Benefits through VONAPP

Chapter 33 benefit information:

Tuition, Fees, Living Stipend and $1000 per academic year book stipend paid, depending on eligibility. The full stipend paid is approximately the pay of an E-5 with dependents in this state’s zip code. Note: Active Duty students do not receive a monthly stipend. See the GI Bill® Comparison Tool for the current rates

Yellow Ribbon: Please refer the Veterans Administration Yellow Ribbon web site for information regarding Yellow Ribbon benefits.

Distance Rate: Online distance students, at full time status, receive 1/2 of the national average of the monthly housing allowance. 

Debt Letters: Debts are incurred with the Post 9/11 GI Bill® when the VA has paid tuition and fees for a course that was later dropped or withdrawn from. In some circumstances, the debt may include the living and book stipends for the course.

Eligibility Percentages: Some students are only partially eligible for Chapter 33. If you are less than 100% eligible, you will be responsible for the difference of tuition and fees paid to the university.


For additional information on Chapter 33 benefit rates, please visit the following page: Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®  

Chapter 35: Dependents’ Education Assistance Program

The Dependent’s Education Assistance Program was created for dependents whose sponsor is missing, forcibly detained, has died, or is 100% permanently and totally disabled in connection to military service.

How to apply:

Chapter 35 benefit information:

For additional information on Chapter 35 benefit rates, please visit the following page: Chapter 35 Dependents' Education Assistance Program

Chapter 31: Vocational Readiness and Employment

Vocational Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31) is an employment service that supports job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching for disabled veterans. This benefit includes paid tuition, fees, books and materials as well as a parking permit, depending on eligibility.

The University of Nebraska Medical Center does not have a Vocational Readiness and Employment Counselor on staff. Contact the Omaha VA Vocational Readiness and Employment Center for counseling needs. If you do not reside in the Omaha area, the site will have options to explore available offices.

Months of eligibility depend on a number of circumstances. Interested students should speak with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

Chapter 32 Veterans' Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is an educational assistance program and a part of an agreement for service members to make contributions from their active duty pay, at that time the military would then make matching contributions at a rate of $2 for every $1 you contributed. The following is a summary of the VEAP and eligibility requirements:

Guard/Reservist Benefits

Chapter 1606: MGIB – Selected Reserve

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program – Program ended as of November 2015

For these chapters, your benefits should also be verified monthly in WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

Please visit the Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 site for current benefit rates

Students currently using 1606 or 1607 may not use Federal Tuition Assistance concurrently with their Chapter 1606/1607 benefits. Attempting to utilize benefits concurrently may result in discontinuation of benefits. 

Tuition Assistance - Army

When Army Federal Tuition Assistance (GoArmyEd annual coverage) has reached its yearly limit, eligible members can also use Nebraska state tuition assistance at 75% (Guard) or 50% (Reservists) of the cost of tuition.

All active duty military (including Nebraska Guard) and their dependents stationed in Nebraska are immediately eligible for in-state residency. Contact the Academic Records Office for residency information. For State and Federal Tuition Assistance information, please visit the following link:

Federal Tuition Assistance

Reservist Tuition Credit Program

The Nebraska State College System participates in a tuition credit program that provides a credit for 50% of the tuition charges for enlisted members of Active Reserve Nebraska based units. More information about the program and the program application can be found on the Nebraska VA Website.


In State Residency for Active Duty, Veterans, and Dependents

As of August 2015, all veterans and their family members that have moved to Nebraska within three years of separating from military service are eligible for in-state residency. See Nebraska Residency Requirements to establish your residency.

Tuition Waiver

This benefit is for spouses and children of veterans that are missing, forcibly detained, have died, or are 100% permanently and totally disabled in connection to active service.

Eligibility requirements:

Federal Tuition Assistance

We understand that approval for tuition assistance can be a challenging process. We are happy to facilitate and clarify the University’s role in applying for tuition assistance. The first step is to get your projected degree plan from your advisor. Contact your program advisor to get the degree plan on school letterhead (the form must be in a pdf document for uploading). In addition, you will need the tuition and fee bill; you can obtain this information in your MyRecords dashboard, if information is readily available. You will also need the tuition and fee bill given to you by Meghan Moore in the Financial Aid office. When your tuition assistance is approved, please send Meghan Moore and Sara Jones a copy of the TA Approval.

Transfer Benefits

When applying for a sponsor’s education benefits, be mindful of the application you will use. For first time users, you will fill out VA Form 22-1990e. The initial application to transfer to a dependent can take several weeks. When the application is approved, the VA will send a letter to you and your dependent that will outline additional action needed to complete the transfer process.

The University of Nebraska Medical Center does not have access to VA files. We cannot review your application process or status. Please use the links above to check on your application and eligibility status, including payment processing status, after a certification has been submitted for the term. To certify your ongoing VA benefit; you must be enrolled in the term for which you are requesting benefits. Ensure there are no holds on your student account by visiting your MyRecords page. Be sure all requested documentation is submitted so there are no delays on certification submissions to the VA.