Filing the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- The UNMC Financial Aid Office would like to take this opportunity to advise students the 2018-2019 FAFSA is now available.
- The FAFSA filing/submission is required each year to remain eligible for federal student aid.
- Please use the UNMC School Code 006895 to ensure your FAFSA information is sent to UNMC.
- Before going on-line to complete the 2018-19 FAFSA, you/your parents may want to review the 2018-2019 FAFSA pdf to review the questions, determine what documents you may need, etc.
- IF you are filing the FAFSA for the first time, you must create a FSA-ID. If you are an undergraduate, dependent student, your parents will also be required to create an FSA ID to complete the parent sections of the FAFSA.
- The 2018-2019 FAFSA will collect 2016 U.S. INCOME and TAX INFORMATION. All 2016 income and tax information should have been completed/submitted to the IRS by this time. We encourage students/parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool; however, it is not required. PLEASE review the Department of Education’s Frequently Asked Questions regarding the 2018-19 IRS DRT BEFORE you begin the FAFSA completion process:
- If you are currently married and did NOT file a joint 2016 IRS Tax Return, you must include the combined 2016 incomes, taxes paid, untaxed income, and savings/investments for student and spouse when completing the 2018-19 FAFSA
- UNMC UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS REGARDLESS OF PRIOR DEGREE: The programs listed below are considered undergraduate bachelor degree programs, regardless of having previously received a bachelor’s degree. The FAFSA must be completed in accordance with FAFSA requirements as an undergraduate student. Students should answer Q 29 with 3 or 4; Q 30 with 1 or 2 (pursing a 1st or 2nd Bachelor’s degree); Q 48 as NO.
- College of Nursing: Bachelor of Nursing
- College of Allied Health: Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science; Bachelor of Medical Imaging and Therapeutic Science Programs
- College of Dentistry: Bachelor of Dental Hygiene
- ALL Other UNMC DEGREE and CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS are considered GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL Programs. The FAFSA should be completed in accordance with FAFSA instructions.
INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW:
An income reduction review is relevant for undergraduate students only. Graduate and Professional students are not eligible for NEED BASED federal grant/loan aid. The income/tax information plays no role in your eligibility for Direct Unsubsidized/Direct Graduate PLUS loan aid.
The following procedure for INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW is as follows:
- The 2018-19 FAFSA with valid 2016 Income/Tax Information must be on file in the UNMC Financial Aid Office before requesting the review.
- Submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: INCOME REDUCTION REVIEW. Provide a written explanation for the request. Our office will review the request and advise the student and/or parents of the appropriate documentation required for the income reduction review.
The UNMC Financial Aid Office will accept Income Reduction Reviews for the following reasons:
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT or PARENTS (dependent student) FINALIZED a divorce in 2016 or 2017 and filed a joint 2016 tax return. Student/Parents must complete the 2018-19 FAFSA using 2016 US IRS income/tax information from the joint tax return information before a review will be considered.
- UNDERGRADUATE DEPENDENT Student: parent/parents lost a job or had a significant decrease in income for 2017; parent deceased in 2016 or 2017 resulting in significant loss of income. Student and Parents must complete the FAFSA with the 2016 US IRS income/tax information before a review will be considered.
- UNDERGRADUATE MARRIED Student: Spouse lost their job due to termination; income reduced due to a change in job in 2017. Student/Spouse must complete the 2018-19 FAFSA with 2016 US IRS income/tax information before a review will be considered.
Additional Information: For additional information on applying for financial aid, use the Financial Aid How To Apply link
Contact the UNMC Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or 402-559-4199