Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy
PhD, Biomedical Science, Creighton University School of Medicine, 2016
MS, Clinical Human Anatomy, Creighton University School of Medicine, 2010
Director, Gross Anatomy Laboratory
Director, Advanced Anatomy Laboratory for Research, Education and Clinical Skills
Director, Nebraska Anatomical Board
Director, UNMC Physician Assistant Gross Anatomy
Assistant Director, UNMC Graduate Studies Gross Anatomy
Advisor, Masters in Medical Anatomy
Honors & Awards:
Association of American Medical Colleges LEAD Fellowship, 2020
College of Medicine Class of 1962 Basic Science Outstanding Teacher Award, UNMC, 2018
Interprofessional Academy of Educators, UNMC, 2018
American Association (of Anatomists) for Anatomy (AAA)
American Association of Clinical Anatomists (AACA)
American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR)
Dr. McCumber’s teaching interests are in gross human anatomy and histology with a specific interest in dynamic small group and laboratory activities in relation to student learning and retention. Dr. McCumber participates in all phase 1 blocks of the medical student curriculum, as well as the Structure and Development of the Human Body course for physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and graduate students. Additionally, Dr. McCumber is the Director of UNMC Gross and Advanced Anatomy Laboratories and the Nebraska State Anatomical Board.
Dr. McCumber’s research interests are in mechanical regulation of bone tissue with specific interest in bone geometry and microstructure. Mechanical loading of bone is necessary for maintaining bone structure and strength; however, loading can lead to bone microdamage and/or bone fracture. A wide spectrum of diseases and disorders increase the risk of bone microdamage and fracture, which is primarily a result of low bone mineral density (BMD), bone size and geometry, and/or compromised mechanical tissue properties. Improving understanding of the impact of morbidities on bone structure, will aid the advancement of diagnostics and pharmaceutical treatment toward the appropriate risk factors of bone microdamage and fracture.
- Oakley C., Keim-Janssen S., Pankratz, J., McCumber T., Treffer K., Olinger A.* Anatomy Of The Thoracic Spine To Elucidate The Validity Of The Thoracic Rule of Threes and Define Anatomical Relationships in the Thoracic Spine. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. October 2018.
- Mayer C., Barner K., Lorimer S., Tran Q., Baer J., Keim Janssen S., McCumber T., Wright B.* Side Variations of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Coronal Angles: Implications for ACL Reconstruction. Clinical Anatomy. October 2019.
- McCumber T.*, Cassidy K., Latacha K., Simet S., Vilburn M., Vogt C., Urban N., Urban J. Accuracy of Ultrasound-Guided Localization of the Peripatellar Plexus for Knee Pain Management. The Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. April 2019.
- Gordon V., Rowe J., Grubb L., Lewis A., Johnson K., Segars L., Surek C., McCumber T., Willet G., Olinger A.* Mapping a Danger Zone of the Dorsal Nerve of the Clitoris: Implications in Female Cosmetic Genital Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. October 2020.
- McCumber T.*, Latacha K., Lomneth C. The State of Anatomical Donation Amidst the SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) Pandemic. Clinical Anatomy. Accepted April 2021.
- McCumber T.*, Deegan P. Fluid Shear Stress Streamer (Model ID 3DPX-012918). NIH 3DPrint Exchange. February 2020.
- McCumber T.*, Filter Adapter for a Digital Microscope Camera (Model ID 3DPX-014498). NIH 3DPrint Exchange. June 2020.
- McCumber T.*, Interactive Larynx (Model ID 3DPX-014756). NIH 3DPrint Exchange. August 2020.