Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy
PhD, Medicine, University of Birmingham (England), 1971
Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Cancer Research Fellow, University of Iowa, 1971-1973
Member, UNMC/Children 's Hospital Child Health Research Institute (CHRI)
Member, Fred and Pamela Buffet Cancer Center (FPBCC)
Member, UNMC Regenerative Medicine Program
Member, JO Armitage Center for Hematological Malignancies (JOACHIM)
Member, Pediatric Cancer Research Group (PCRG)
Chair, Scientific Research Oversight Committee (SROC), Office of VCR
Member, AACR, AAI, ASCO, Cytokine Society, ISEH.
Ad hoc member, various NCI and other NIH Review Committees, former Chair NIH/NHLBI, External Advisory Panel, Product Assistance for Cellular Therapy (PACT) Program.
Reviewer, Musculoskeletal Transplantation Foundation (MTF), Oak Ridge Associated Universities Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bankhead-Coley Cancer Research Program, The James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program and the Live Like Bella Pediatric Cancer Research Initiative for the Florida Department of Health.
Reviewer for multiple scientific/medical journals.
Teaches in a graduate course, is a member of several graduate student supervisory committees, and mentors junior research and teaching faculty.
Stem cell biology, basic and translational science applications of stem cells. Regulation of self-renewal versus differentiation of stem cells of normal tissues and tumors. Reprogramming of stem cells for therapy. Since 2013, advisor to Pediatric Cancer Research and Fellowship program, emphasizing small molecule targeted therapies to treat therapy-resistant tumors and minimize toxicities.
- Ray S, Coulter DW, Gray SD, Sughroue JA, Roychoudhury S, Mcintyre EM, Chaturvedi NK, Bhakat KK, Joshi, SS, Mcguire TR, Sharp JG. Suppression of STAT3 NH2-terminal domain chemosensitizes medulloblastoma cells by activation of protein inhibitor of activated STAT3 via de-repression by microRNA-21. Molecular Carcinogenesis. 57: 536-548. 2018
- Chaturvedi NK; Kesherwani V; Kling MJ; Ray S; McGuire TR; Sharp JG; Joshi SS; Coulter DW. Role of protein arginine methyltransferase 5 in group 3 (MYC-driven) Medulloblastoma. BMC cancer. 2019; Vol. 19:1056
- Raheleh Miralami; John G. Sharp; Fereydoon Namavar; Curtis W. Hartman; Kevin L. Garvin; Geoffrey M. Thiele. Effects of nano-engineered surfaces on osteoblast adhesion, growth, differentiation, and apoptosis. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part N: Journal of Nanomaterials, Nanoengineering and Nanosystems. 2019
- McGuire TR, Coulter DW, Bai D, Sughroue JA, Li J, Yang Z, Qiao Z, Liu Y, Murry DJ, Chhonker YS, McIntyre EM, Alexander G, Sharp JG, Li R. Effects of novel pyrrolomycin MP1 in MYCN amplified chemoresistant neuroblastoma cell lines alone and combined with temsirolimus. BMC Cancer. 19: 837. 2019
- Miralami R, Haider H, Sharp JG, Namavar F, Hartman CW, Garvin KL, Hunter CD, Premaraj T, Thiele GM. Surface nano-modification by ion beam assisted deposition alters the expression of osteogenic genes in osteoblasts. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine. 233: 921-930. 2019
- Nagendra K. Chaturvedi; Sidharth Mahapatra; Varun Kesherwani; Matthew J. Kling; Mamta Shukla; Sutapa Ray; Ranjana Kanchan; Naveenkumar Perumal; Timothy R. McGuire; J. Graham Sharp; Shantaram S. Joshi; Don W. Coulter. Role of protein arginine methyltransferase 5 in group 3 (MYC-driven) Medulloblastoma. BMC cancer. 19: 2019
- Baranowska-Kortylewicz J, Sharp JG, McGuire TR, Joshi S, Coulter DW. Alpha-Particle Therapy for Multifocal Osteosarcoma: A Hypothesis. Cancer Biother. Radiopharm. 2020
- Chaturvedi NK; Kling MJ; Griggs CN; Kesherwani V; Shukla M; McIntyre E; Ray S; Liu Y; McGuire TR; Sharp JG; Band H; Joshi SS; Coulter DW. A Novel Combination Approach Targeting an Enhanced Protein Synthesis Pathway in MYC-driven (Group 3) Medulloblastoma. Molecular cancer therapeutics. 2020; In press.
- Khadge S, Sharp JG, McGuire TR, Thiele GM, Talmadge JE. Lipid inflammatory mediators in cancer progression and therapy. 1036. Springer New York LLC; 2020. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology; 145-156
- Sharp, J Graham and Shriver, Sharon. Gene Transfer, Stem Cells and Embryo Research. Chap 10-14. IRB Management and Function 3rd Ed. (2020) Eds. Bankert, Gordon, Hurley & Shriver. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA.