Travis L McCumber, Ph.D.
Director, Gross Anatomy Laboratory
Director, Advanced Anatomy Laboratory for Research, Education and Clinical Skills
UNMC member representative, Nebraska Anatomical Board
Education: Creighton University School of Medicine
Dr. McCumber’s teaching interests are in gross human anatomy and histology with specific interest in dynamic small group and laboratory activity in relation to student learning and retention. Dr. McCumber participates in all phase 1 blocks of the medical TPT curriculum, as well as the Structure and Development of the Human Body course for physician assistant, physical therapy, and graduate students. Additionally, Dr. McCumber is the Director of UNMC Gross and Advanced Anatomy Laboratories, and serves as the UNMC representative for the Nebraska State Anatomical Board.
Dr. McCumber’s research interests are related to mechanical regulation of bone tissue with specific interest in bone and immune system interactions. Mechanical loading of bone is necessary for maintaining bone structure and strength; however, repetitive loading can lead to fatigue induced microdamage. Tissue damage and the accumulation of microcracks within mineralized bone matrix results in increased bone fragility. Targeted bone remodeling is the localized remodeling and repair of bone tissue microdamage via the coupled interaction of intra-cortical osteoclasts and osteoblasts. The mechanism initiating intra-cortical osteoclasts for the targeted removal of microdamage has yet to be fully described. Ongoing studies are focused on bone and immune cell signaling interactions in relation to targeted bone remodeling and repair of fatigue induced microdamage.
- Oakley C., Keim-Janssen S., Pankratz, J., McCumber T, Treffer K., Olinger A. Anatomy Of The Thoracic Spine To Elucidate The Validity Of The Thoracic Rule of Threes and Define Anatomical Relationships in the Thoracic Spine. Accepted to The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, February 2018.
Manuscripts in Preparation:
- Whitaker A., Daggett M., Dami Lee C., Stephenson C., McCumber T, Thiagarajan G., Wright B. Morphological and Biomechanical Variations in the Anterior Talofibular Ligament.
- McCumber T, Turtorro M., Billheimer J., Akhter M., Cullen D. Fatigue Loading of Rat Ulna Stimulates Secretion of Inflammatory Cytokines Related to T-cell and Osteoclast Chemotaxis.
- McCumber T, deOliveira E., Wilson D., Nelson S. Machining and Validation of a Fluid Shear Stress Streamer for Live Cell Video Microscopy.
Abstracts for Presentation:
- McCumber T, Nelson S. In Vitro Quantification and Validation of Mechanically-Induced Osteocyte Strain. Nebraska Academy of Sciences. Lincoln, NE. April 2018
- Oakley C, Keim Janssen SA, Pankratz J, Treffer K, McCumber T, Olinger AB. Anatomy of the Thoracic Spine to Elucidate the Validity of the Thoracic Rule of Threes and Define the Anatomical Relationship between the Spinous Processes and Transverse Processes in the Thoracic Spine. 2017 Annual Kansas City University Research Symposium, Kansas City, MO, March 2017.
- Whitaker A, Wright B, Thiagarajan G, Daggett M, McCumber T Morphological and Biomechanical Variations in the Anterior Talofibular Ligament. 2017 Annual Kansas City University Research Symposium, Kansas City, MO, March 2017.
- Lee C, Stephens RE, Wright B, McCumber T, Butterworth J, Surek C. Location of the Internal Mammary Vessels for Microvascular Autologous Breast Reconstruction. 2017 Annual Kansas City University Research Symposium, Kansas City, MO, March 2017.
- McCumber T, Drescher K, Cullen D. Mechanically-Induced Osteocyte-Th17 Cell Signaling and Subsequent Osteoclast Formation. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Atlanta, GA, September 2016.
- Turturro M, McCumber T, Billheimer J, Cullen D. Th17 Involved in Inflammatory Response Following Mechanical Loading In Vivo. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Atlanta, GA, September 2016.
- McCumber T, Drescher K, Cullen D. Mechanically-Induced Osteocyte-Th17 Cell Signaling and Osteoclastogenesis. Experimental Biology, San Diego, CA, April 2016.
- McCumber T, Drescher K, Cullen D. A Novel Mechanically-Induced Osteocyte/Th17 Cell Signaling Mechanism. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Seattle, WA, October 2015.
- McCumber T, Hackfort B, Akhter M, Cullen D. In Vivo Fatigue Damage in Bone Linked to Cytokine Expression. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Houston, TX, September 2014.