Be sure you apply through UniCAS before January 1.
Step 2: Know the requirements
In order to be considered for admission to the Physical Therapy Doctorate Program, potential applicants must satisfy the requirements below by January 1 and be approved by the China-Based Selection Committee.
- Applicants must currently hold one of the following credentials or be in the final year of their program:
- An entry-level degree (BS or MS) in physical therapy or non-US licensure/certification as a physical therapist.
- Applicants must have completed all of the following courses with a grade of B- or better (based on the foreign transcript evaluation performed). No online laboratories accepted for these prerequisite courses:
- 1 Course in Anatomy (including laboratory)
- 1 Course in Physiology (including laboratory)
- 2 Courses (1 Year) of Physics (including laboratory)
- 2 Courses (1 Year) of Chemistry (including laboratory
- 2 Courses in Biology (labs optional)
- 2 Courses in Social Science (1 course in Psychiatry, Developmental Psychology, or Abnormal Psychology)
- 1 Course Statistics
- 1 Writing intensive course in any area (highly recommended)
- Applicants must present a minimum overall grade point average of 3.25 on a 4.0 grading scale (based on the foreign transcript evaluation performed).
- Applicants must have attained a grade of B- or better in math and science courses and a grade of C- or better in all other courses (based on the foreign transcript evaluation performed).
- Applicants must present scores for the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) general test. Information about the GRE may be obtained from Educational Testing Service (www.gre.org). Specify that copies of results should be forwarded to the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) under College Code 6896.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in the English language in one of the following ways:
- Internet-based TOEFL exam (UNMC Institution Code 6896) with a minimum score of 95 (scores must be no more than two years old); or
- IELTS exam with a minimum score of 7.0 (scores must be no more than two years old).
- Transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis by WES or ECE. Applicants may be required to take preadmission courses in the United States as designated by the admissions committee based on the foreign transcript evaluation.
Step 3: Notify us
Notify the following of your intent to apply:
- College of Allied Health Professions Admissions Office
- Office of Global Engagement by filling out the Pre-Application Form
Step 4: Application process
- Apply using UniCAS. You must complete your online application by January 1.
- Follow the instructions in UniCAS to complete the application. Select the "GHOP Physical Therapy Doctorate Program".
- Answer the UNMC specific questions in UniCAS.
- Upload your personal narrative/essay to UniCAS. In this narrative/essay, you will describe your career goals, your desire to become trained as an academic physical therapist, and how a graduate degree in the program would aid in achieving these goals.
- Upload your resume/CV to UniCAS.
- Provide the names and email addresses for three or four people who will write evaluations/letters of recommendation for you. UniCAS will contact the evaluators/recommenders and tell them how to submit their evaluations/letters online.
- Have your transcripts evaluated/translated by a credential evaluation service (ECE or WES). This must be a course-by-course evaluation that identifies and describes each diploma or certificate, the periods of education, and equivalency of each document. There will be a link within the UniCAS application to these evaluation services; clicking this link within the application will ensure that your evaluation is sent to the correct address.
- If you have not completed your degree, please have your current transcripts evaluated. Once your degree is awarded, please resubmit your completed transcripts or official degree statement to the evaluation service so it can be added to your file.
- Pay the application fee of $60
- Send your official GRE and TOEFL test scores to UNMC from ETS (code 6896; select "no department listed") or IELTS from British Council — no photocopies.
IELTS scores should be sent to:
CAHP Enrollment Management & Student Affairs
984035 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4035
Applicants will be interviewed via Zoom only if minimum criteria are met.
Academic policies and procedures
Students accepted into the CSC Physical Therapy Professional Doctorate Program will be expected to comply with all requirements, policies, and procedures set forth for all students in the UNMC Physical Therapy Education Program and the University of Nebraska Graduate College.
These expectations are outlined in the following documents: