International Students in F-1 Status Information
As many of you in the University of Nebraska Medical Center international community have heard, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) recently announced modifications to temporary exemptions for nonimmigrant students taking online classes due to the COVID-19 pandemic for the fall 2020 semester.
Our first priority in the Office of Global Engagement is your health and safety, ensuring that you can learn in the United States, at our university effectively. However, we also understand that this recent announcement has many of you concerned about your future.
Please read the following items carefully.
This notice includes important information, guidance, and resources so you can continue your educational experience at UNMC.
For UNMC international students with F-1 status in the United States for Fall 2020, the guidance means that you:
- Must enroll full-time*
- Must enroll in at least one credit of an in-person or hybrid course;
- Will be allowed to take more than one class or three credit hours online;
- May not enroll entirely in online or remote courses;
Students who are unable to meet the above requirements must:
- Contact their academic advisor to change their class schedule or change their academic program to meet the above requirements;
- or contact Dan Teet at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if you are eligible for a reduced course load or discuss your other options;
- or make plans to leave the country.
In the coming weeks, UNMC will mail new form I-20s to all new and returning international students who will be registered for a full course of study this Fall 2020. A scan of the new form I-20 will also be emailed to your UNMC email address.
Additional information and a list of frequently asked questions can be found on the UNMC website. Please note that FAQs are based on the current information available in and related to this SEVP announcement.
We will continue to monitor this developing situation and keep you up to date as changes are made.
*Graduate students in Doctoral programs who have been admitted to PhD Candidacy are considered full-time with one credit hour of Doctoral Dissertation.
If you have further questions regarding changes to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program, please contact Dan Teet at email@example.com.