UNMC Graduate Studies encourages and incentivizes each of our eligible graduate students to apply for external fellowship grants. The following three (3) pages summarize some rich resources on grant opportunities for graduate students as well as resources to help in writing them.
- National Research Service Awards (NRSA OR F Awards)
- External Funding for Domestic Students
- External Funding for International Students
Incentives for students to apply for external funding:
- If a student submits an NIH F30 or F31 fellowship application that is not funded, despite receiving a high Impact/Priority Score (defined as 30 or better), the student’s Supervisor will receive a one-time award of $1000 to be used for supplies or travel in support of the student. This initiative will be funded by the Graduate Studies Office.
- Every Ph.D. student who receives external funding* covering at least 75% of his/her stipend will receive a scholarship (20% of the standard UNMC stipend) each year for the duration of the external funding. This scholarship, which is intended to supplement the student’s fellowship, will be funded by the Graduate Studies Office.
- If a Ph.D. student who currently holds a Graduate Studies A/F receives external funding* covering at least 75% of his/her stipend, an amount equal to 20% of the standard UNMC stipend will be provided to the Supervisor’s research program (prorated for the duration of the UNMC fellowship) to support projects on which the student is working, travel to conferences, or other aspects of the student’s training. This initiative will be funded by the Graduate Studies Office.
*The external funding must be awarded to the student as the result of a competitive review process. Eligible funding programs include (but are not limited to) NIH F30 or F31 individual fellowships, American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowships, PhRMA Pre Doctoral Fellowships, and Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships.
Procedure to request the external funding scholarship:
Any student who receives external funding covering at least 75% of his/her stipend, or who receives a score of 30 or better on an NIH F30 or F31 application, should email documentation of the external award to email@example.com.