iEXCEL is a transformative program creating a new model for healthcare education, training and research. iEXCEL stands for the Interprofessional Experiential Center for Enduring Learning.
- Ultimately, patients benefit because learners hone their skills – both individually and as teams – before treating real patients.
- Students, having grown up in a digital world, will be more engaged in active, technology-driven learning.
- Existing health care professionals reap continuing education and statewide training opportunities.
- Faculty will enhance their content delivery, be able to partner with industry and perform research with the newest tools and techniques.
- Industry is attracted to what iEXCEL can offer for testing, training and collaborating.
UNMC’s Dr. Edwin G. & Dorothy Balbach Davis Global Center (Davis Global Center) is the headquarters for the iEXCEL program. The Davis Global Center is a state-of-the-art 192,000 sq. ft. simulation center located on the UNMC campus at the corner of 42nd and Emile Streets. The facility features advanced clinical simulation, surgical skills and visualization environments for both individual and interprofessional learning.
iEXCEL, in conjunction with the Davis Global Center, enables UNMC to centralize state-of-the-art learning technologies and serve as a statewide resource for UNMC campuses in Lincoln, Kearney, Norfolk and Scottsbluff as well as other health care partners. SIM-NE is the branch of iEXCEL providing statewide outreach through its mobile simulation trucks. These vehicles bring valuable hands-on training opportunities to health care professionals throughout the state.
Located next door to the Davis Global Center, the Sorrell Simulation Lab is a 7,750 sq. ft. facility offering an interdisciplinary environment in which to enhance clinical skills through the use of simulations. Participants practice on manikins, task trainers, or standardized patients who role-play realistic medical conditions. It features an operating room, two high-fidelity simulation rooms, a simulation control room and 16 exam rooms to provide high-quality training.
Simulators offer the opportunity to work with training models that can react in realistic ways to the learner's treatments and/or interventions. They provide the learners with an immersive, hands-on experience. The high-fidelity mannequin replicates authentic patient issues in a safe, non-threatening environment for students. The mannequin can provide a standard representation of a condition consistently for students to repeat a treatment or intervention numerous times to build student skill and confidence.
To schedule a training, event or visit, please fill out the request form here.